Monday, January 24, 2011

"B" is for Bins (Part 2)

Kiss, Hug and Love
(Or a continuation from yesterday's post on bins.)

Simple Valentine's decorations.



Curious about the burlap mantel cover click here.



Here's how I made the bins:
The before:


And the after:


I painted one thick coat of Behr Off White satin finish:


Painted the words on using stencils, first red paint then brown.  Sanded with 120 grit, applied Minwax special walnut and sealed with clear satin poly.



For the 'flowers', I know they look nothing like any real flowers but they sure are pretty.

Here's how I made the flowers:
(Martha also has a good tutorial here.)

Stack 6 coffee filters
Flatten and start folding back and forth like a fan.


Add some wire in the middle to hold the folds.


Pull up each layer of filter towards the middle, alternating sides.


And you have a 'flower'.


In total I made 14 flowers, super fast and easy touch.



I'm linking to:

Visit thecsiproject.com



Making



 Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!

16 comments:

The Painted Cottage said...

Those are ADORABLE! Featured you on my blog today .. Check it out!

www.thepaintedcottageonline.blogspot.com

-Lauren

Beth@The Stories of A2Z said...

So cute! I love them on the stairs.

I'm Not a Trophy Wife said...

Very cute. Where did you get the wood boxes? laura

I'm Not a Trophy Wife said...

ps I'm a new follower.. would love a return visit.. have a great week, laura

cyndi said...

great use of Christmas clearance! i love that!

Amanda said...

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) You can see the feature here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-crafty-valentine-ideas/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Kelly said...

Hello! I found you through Making the World Cuter. Your bins are so great! I'm your newest follower!

:)

Kelly

DANA said...

That's great! If you have not been by yet, make sure you enter my linky contest! The best of January 2011 will be showered with prizes! I also have some great Valentines giveaways going on right now!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/01/strut-your-stuff-link-up-party.html

Renee @ where the grass is greener said...

Great idea and great reuse of those boxes. You could also fill the top one with Hershey's kisses!

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

Too cute! You did a great job on those boxes!

Kelli @ RTSM said...

These are too cute! I love that you kept the inside red too!

Val said...

Those boxes are Super Cute!!

Green Door Girl said...

super cute - I agree with Beth - love them on the stairs, they are super cute on the table as well! Found you though the CSI link :)

jenn (greendoordesigns.blogspot.com)

Heather@The Black's Best said...

I love how fun and simple these bins are...adorable. Thanks for the tutorial on how to make the flowers too!

uglythenpretty.com said...

Love! Great idea, posted about it @ www.UglythenPretty.com

Cleat, Ida, Nelana and Camden said...

What a beautiful job!! I want to cast my vote for your project in the vday challenge over at Less-Than-Perfect Life of Bliss.

Good luck!