Thursday, January 27, 2011

"F" is for Floor Lamp

A floor lamp makeover.

As usual I got this floor lamp from Freecycler Doug.
(Yes I do buy things sometimes but when I know it's worthwhile I'm all for Freecycle.)

Not bad for a boy's room baseball theme.
But I needed a 'gender neutral' theme for my kid's bedroom.

I refinished the base with the following products in this order:
(This is what I had so this is what I used.)

prime, paint, sand, stain, seal

For the lampshade we started with this:

And now we have this:

How's how I changed the lampshade:

removed the 'stitching' strings and red fabric:

cut new fabric to fit height of shade and long enough to cover all four sides:

using spray adhesive, attach fabric to one side and wrap 1/2" over side seam:

for the next piece I folded the edge for a finished look and applied:

there's lots of ways to go about it, basically wrap the shade with the fabric

Then I sprayed the bottom and top edges and folded inside:

Use binder clips at corners to keep fabric in place while drying:

Adhere trim, I made blue binding from fabric and used fabritac to glue it:


One last side by side:

Definitely worth my time.

I'm linking up to:

TT button


  1. Amazing! I love all your makeovers. They look awesome! You've inspired me!

  2. I am so surprised in this post. I really love how you transform those old lamps into a very new and attractive one.

    black crystal lamp