Sunday, January 2, 2011

"M" is for Mantel

Winter is officially here as evidenced by the calendar and the blizzard we had about a week ago.

Christmas is put away and the mantel needed a winter look.


My challenge is decorating around the tv without it being a distraction.

I started by making a burlap cover to warm up the white.  The idea came from Rene at Cottage and Vine who makes these great table runners from burlap.

I measured the length and depth, cut one rectangular piece with 1/2" seam allowance.
Then I cut 4" strips, one for the length, two for the depth on the sides.


I attached the 4" strips and mitered the corners for a tailored looking fit:


Finally I unraveled the horizontal threads about almost 2" up from the bottom edge and started making knots with the vertical threads, every 6 strands:


Here it is all dressed up:



I made the wooden bin below and a couple others in a post here.





And a quick seasonal round up:


summer




Making it cozy for the next few months.


I'm linking up to:

WhisperWood Cottage

Cottage and Vine Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special Visit thecsiproject.com

16 comments:

  1. love it! so creative. I am loving all your pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking thru your blog. Lots of great projects!
    I'm your newest follower.
    Cheers!
    Rita @MAY DAYS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem..T.V. on the mantel. You did such a great job on the burlap runner. Tieing the fray was a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you use of burlap. Great looking mantel decor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the burlap! I use it as a table runner on my dining room table too. It adds a nice texture. Found you through Whisperwood Cottage's First Project of the Year party! I live in NY too (upstate).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the winter look of your mantel. The burlap cover is perfect.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. The knots in the burlap are genius! Did it take a really long time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that burlap! awesome idea :) your mantel looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. The burlap does an amazing job of softening the look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking this Jaime. I think everyone is wanting a tv over the mantle now.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I love that burlap runner! I have the exact.same.fireplace. how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love how you knotted the threads to give it a more finished professional look~even for burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This is soo pretty...and I love how it can be used for every season...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea! I don't have a mantle, but if I did, I would certainly copy this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Jaime,
    This is Jenn with Canvas Corp and we chose your gorgeous burlap mantle cover from the CSI Project challenge. I just wanted to let you know that we posted your project on our blog: http://blog.canvascorpcrafts.com and facebook page and linked back to you. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!
    Jenn
    {I will also feature you on my personal blog: redberrybarn.blogspot}

    ReplyDelete