Monday, July 25, 2011

"S" is for Stamps

Painted stamp art.

Inspired by these stamps:
image from USPS

I'm giving full credit to Jose Ortega, the illustrator who created the design for these Love stamps.

In the words of the USPS,  "award-winning illustrator José Ortega created an abstract garden of bright flowers, a butterfly, a strawberry, and doves, interlaced with vines that run from one stamp to another. Each prominent element of the design is in the shape of a heart."

  I simply did my own version on some reclaimed cabinet door pieces.


Detail image:

I just hope the US Postal Service doesn't come after me!

I bought the stamps because the design was so beautiful, thank you Jose.

My version:

Here's how I did it:
1. Filled holes and sanded cabinet door fronts.
Painted one coat BM wedgewood grey.

2. Draw design with pencil using stamps as inspiration:

3.  Paint with acrylics, layer up the colors.

4. Sand to distress, seal with poly.

These lovelies don't have a home yet but the wheels are spinning.

I'm linking up to:, The 36th Avenue.

Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk

Lovely Crafty Weekend @ Lovely Crafty Home

Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z


Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

those are so pretty- cheerful and colorful! just what i needed to see!

M and M plus 3 said...

Very nice and thanks for the how to do!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Those are so fun and so pretty! I love the colors.

pinktoesandpowertools said...

You are making me wish I didn't have so many woodworking projects on my to-do list that I want to get done before cold weather comes again. You aren't just DIY--love this artist side you have!

Delaney said...

Love these! Cute!
Sweet Tea Serendipity

Erica said...

Cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

1 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Melissa said...

Those are great. I love the colors and your inspiration. And they are perfect on those cabinet doors, too.

Erika said...

Oh, my goodness, I love the inspiration and how you used it for the doors! Fantastic!

Artful Rising

Tammy said...

I have a bajillion drawer fronts - well maybe I am over exaggerating a bit, but I have a lot! This is such a pretty idea and great way to use up a few of those drawer fronts that I have stacked up in the workshop.

Emily Ruth said...

Just beautiful! Following you from The Girl Creative :)

Amanda said...

What a great project! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:

Amanda said...

We liked this so much over at Copycat Crafts that we have decided to feature it today! You can view it here

We'd love it if you'd like to display a featured button! You can grab your button on the right hand side of your post. Thanks!