Saturday, September 10, 2011

DIY Entryway Cubbies (bench portion)

Entryway cubbies built and complete.  Today I'm sharing details on the bench portion.

diy entryway cubbies

One cubby unit on either side of the front door.

diy entryway cubbies flanking door

diy entryway cubbies mudroom

My version of this system from Pottery Barn:

pottery barn cubbies

This family of five was using this:

coat rack before

And now each child has their own space:

locker and cubby system after

Complete with labeled baskets to hold shoes, etc:

bench with storage cubbies and shoe bins

To see how I made the chalkboard name labels click here.

I modified plans from Ana White here for the base bench portion.
(This bench measures 34"wide x 20"high x 18"deep.)

diy locker cubbies over storage bench

For the full post on the upper locker section click here.

I added the additional hooks in the lockers:

polished chrome hooks locker cubby

The hooks are polished chrome to match the front door hardware:

polished chrome hooks

All filled up:

polished chrome hooks mudroom cubby

Here's a few progress pics of the bench portion:

1. Base complete:
 (those skinny scrap wood pieces across the middle are holding the sides square until I add another 1x2 at the upper back)

build bench with cubbies

2. Painted one coat primer, two coats semi gloss white:

painted build bench with cubbies

3. Top piece was stained one coat Minwax dark walnut, 3 coats satin poly.

Added top piece by screwing down through top, screws are hidden by side and middle divider pieces of locker portion.

Locker portion is only 12" deep therefore screws cannot go past 12" and absolutely must be flush.

stained bench top

bench top attached to cubbies

4. Carefully place top portion on base so as not to scratch finish.

locker unit installed on bench

Secure top to base using 1" L brackets in front corners:

L brackets to secure locker unit

and mending plates on back:

mending plate at back to secure

5. Add baskets to complete.

Up top smaller baskets for hats, gloves, etc.

baskets in cubbies

Down below larger baskets for shoes, boots, etc.

personalized shoe baskets in bench cubbies

These base sections have no backing, it isn't really necessary but more importantly there is open access to the electrical outlets:

bench cubbies no back access to outlet

All complete:

diy locker and bench cubby unit

Looks like they were meant to be there all along.

diy locker and bench cubby units

diy entryway locker and bench cubby units

Thanks beach friend for a great project.

diy entryway locker and bench cubby units with baskets

48 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! Just what I need before the cold weather hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just tell you how much I love these?! You did such a wonderful job! Their entryway looks like it is in a Pottery Barn catalog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, wow, that is amazing! Fantastic job. Found you via Sisters of the Wild West. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-goodwill-finds.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job that took a lot of patience! So what do you do with your kids while you're working? I throw pizza at mine and let them play wii all night. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm in awe. They look amazing!! Well done!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this. What a crisp, clean look for your entry! You're going to be SO happy come coat season!!!

    Dana

    craftedniche.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaime, these are SO cool! Your friend is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you from the roomspiration party. Gorgeous storage pieces! They look perfect and professionally done. So impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look FANTASTIC!
    love the look - and they hold so much.
    lovely.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Family friendly but beautiful too! The best of both worlds! So glad you linked up with Roomspiration today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Awesome job! They look just like the Pottery Barn ones. You do awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They turned out great--just like I knew they would coming from you! Your friend has got to be thrilled with her new entrance. The difference is dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fabulous! I love the darker wood against the color of your walls. If you get a chance, I would love it if you could link this up to my party, The Creative Spark, tomorrow night. Have a great week!
    Jenn :)
    www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely cubbies! I think yours look nicer than Pottery Barn's!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look fantastic! How nice to have such a great looking storage system! I need to figure something out for our stuff - so much clutter!! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job!
    Ive always loved that look from Pottery Barn and you've made it yours!! :)

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are very skilled..they look amazing, every detail down to the personalized baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute and what a great way to organize coats and whatnots!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Visiting from MMS linky party,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had that same Pottery Barn pic saved for my hubbie to build for me. Yours turned out SO CUTE!! Hooray for cute organization!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is on AMAZING before and after! Pretty AND functional...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are awesome, I can not believe you made them yourself!!! Inspiring!
    Visiting from MMS

    Come see me at Solongfarm.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never tire of these wonderful cubbies! Now can you come over to my house and build some for me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these. They turned out better than the PB ones!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that turned out so good. Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to share it on my link party at cookienut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE!!! I want one! Will you come make me one or maybe convince my husband that I NEED this ;) Yours turned out better than Pottery Barn, just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pottery Barn is great for inspiration and yours is wonderful!
    I like how you were able to add the names. My toddlers are learning to write and read and they are fascinated by seeing their names--this would be great for them.

    I hope you are able to stop by It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is great! I featured it today!

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/09/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-party_21.html

    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  28. Eeeee!!!! I WANT, I WANT, I WANT!!! Those are amaze-balls, and totally look better than the ones in Pottery Barn. On my to-do list and Pinterest account it goes. Oh man... still drooling over these.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow this is awesome. In November I'll be working on my mudroom and I want to make something similar to this. I will definately be checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WELL DONE! I think you did a great job, and the beadboard backs are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is incredible! You've helped me to finally realize what I'd like to do for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome! So functional and looks so cool! I need some of these in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those look fabulous - nicely done! You must be so proud of yourself! (Here from sawdustandpaperscraps)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks so amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great cubbies and so much more space! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So nice! They look even better than the PB ones. gives me a good idea for my next project:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ok...this is my first...but, I see this says Part II...is there a part I? Where are the dimensions/measurements?

    Thanks, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ok...this is my first...but, I see this says Part II...is there a part I? Where are the dimensions/measurements?

    Thanks, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm officially addicted to your blog and happily your newest follower! I just love all of your projects and am so impressed that you have actually built these things! I love to make things and am not afraid of a power tool, but sure wish I had someone teach me how to make the things that you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jamie,

    this weekemd my wife and I are going to undertake this project for the Entryway Locker system with the Bench.

    I know you modified the plans from Ana.

    Where can we get the exact specs that you used, or the exact modifications that you made to the original plan?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing. I am in love with this entry way. You are incredibly talented. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love your dresser rehab, it's gorgeous. I just wanted to say though, that oil-based paint is high VOC and is even outlawed in some areas. I woudn't use this in an area you spend a lot of time in or a child's room. :)

    ReplyDelete