Thursday, October 27, 2011

Type Tray Repurposed

Type tray turned in an Advent calendar.

type tray repurpose project

type tray advent calendar

Although the countdown has not begun yet (we still have 58 days!) we are ready.


type tray christmas countdown

I found this simple type tray at United House Wrecking in Stamford, CT.
They have all kinds of unusual items for the home; furniture, decor, memorabilia.

type tray before

Clearly it used to hold letters for some sort of printmaker.

But it was a bit boring.  And I figured out the 48 spots would make a perfect Advent calendar.

type tray after

Any candy will do but the kisses fit so perfectly.

christmas countdown with hershey kisses

I can't take all the credit for the kisses idea, Beckie over at Infarrantly Creative makes countdown kisses calendars for nearly every holiday:

infarrantly creative countdown calendar

image from Infarrantly Creative

Click here to see Beckie's how to countdown calendar.

The kisses sit perfectly on each little shelf ready to be eaten:

advent countdown calendar detail

type tray calendar profile

Here's how I made the calendar:

1. Sand off visible writing.  Cover outer edge with painters tape.

2. Paint four sides inside each box and background of every other box:

how to repurpose a type tray

3. Remove painters tape, sand top surface edges of all box dividers to remove messy paint:

painted boxes red

3. Cut scrapbook paper pieces to fit boxes:

cut scrapbooking paper to fit boxes

4. Apply mod podge to background of box, place scrapbook paper into box, cover with mod podge.

mod podge paper into boxes

5. Using vinyl rub on numbers line up and rub into place in red background boxes.

vinyl rub on numbers

6. Fill with kisses.

hershey kisses in boxes

My kids already ate this batch of kisses so we'll be getting fresh ones before Dec. 1.

christmas countdown with hersheys kisses

A very easy transformation into something fun and functional.

type tray makeover

type tray detail

One last side by side:

type tray beforetype tray after

Ready for the countdown to begin.

make a christmas countdown using a type tray

26 comments:

  1. So nice Jaime - you always do such a fabulous job too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'll be on the lookout for a type tray of some kind! Love it!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Jaime! What a great idea for this tray and it worked out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find and a neat idea! Definitely something the kids will cherish for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable. I love the stripes in teh background of every second square.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect advent calendar!!! I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v11.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fabulous! I recently sold a printer's tray and now wish I had kept it.
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute idea, love it! Stopping by from {lolly jane boutique}

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! I love how it turned out. Hard to believe Christmas is around the corner


    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea for a countdown, looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I think I have an old golf ball shelf and it would be perfect for something like this! Thanks for the idea!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. soooo cute!!! i love how simple it is!!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love advent calendars. You always come up with the cutest ideas, Jaime, even if you borrow them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Party!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2011/10/for-this-weeks-party.html

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! We would love to have one in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This project turned out great! I'd love for you to share this at my Christmas Craft Tutorial Link Party going on through the month of November at Project Queen. www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your countdown calendar. I have been looking to make something similar. Great find. I would love for you to stop by and link up to my party. It's going on right now. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so great! If I had a type tray, I would so be making one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this...such a cute advent calendar. I'm your newest follower from the 36th Ave. blog party. I'd love you to stop by my blog & follow along too!
    Thanks,
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great project! I love your taste. Happy to have found your blog :)

    www.smithpeas.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW - I am in LOVE with this.. You did A FAB job.. LOVE LOVE it : )) Super adorable, the color's are so pretty. I have a Pin Inspirational party happening today I'll love for you to link this too please :)) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursday.html ..Wishing you an awesome day :)) ..M

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful! Found you through CSI!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great! I love the kisses! What a perfect box to use for it....you couldn't have planned it better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great colour scheme - I really love this!

    I'm visiting via CSI project

    ReplyDelete