Farmhouse doll bed complete with bedding:
It's been a while since I made a doll bed, this one went to a school friend for her birthday.
I agonized over the fabric color selections trying hard to stay away from pink.
The bed is a modified version of Ana White's plans here. I left out one slat in the headboard and footboard narrowing the width by 2.5". Ana's plans make a very wide bed, almost wide enough for two dolls.
This version fits one American Girl doll perfectly:
I used pine boards and furring strips primed and painted Behr Swiss Coffee, lightly distressed and sealed with satin poly.
View of the back of the headboard:
Here's how I made the quilt, sheet and mattress:
1. Select fabrics:
2. Cut 2" strips:
3. Sew strips using 1/4" seam allowance in desired pattern:
4. Slice into 2" sections:
5. Arrange pattern, you will have to make accommodations by attaching additional pieces to get pattern correct:
6. Sew all strips together to create quilt top:
7. Make quilt sandwich: backing fabric, batting, quilt top:
8. Pin all pieces together at 4" intervals, starting in center to keep all layers flat.
9. Quilt as desired, I choose the red and green rows to quilt on the diagonal:
10. Trim up all edges even:
11. Make binding, I used 1 1/2" width:
12. Sew on binding with 1/4" seam allowance:
13. Fold binding over and hand stitch closed to back:
Wash and dry to get that worn, quilt look.
14. For the sheet simply sew two fabric pieces wrong sides together leaving a 3" opening.
(Add decorative ric rac before sewing together.)
Turn right side out and press, top stitch around edge for finished look:
15. Mattress is 1" foam wrapped with batting, covered with solid white cotton fabric.
All wrapped up in cellophane for gift giving.
Sleep tight American Girl!
I'm linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic