Thursday, December 1, 2011

"S" is for Sister

A wreath request from my sister.


Fabric strips wrapped around styrofoam wreath form.


Embellished with cut out flowers and buttons:


My sister had seen this wreath on a blog:



She asked for something similar to use for Christmas.

This is what I came up with:


I searched for more inspiration on Pinterest and found this:


This is more my speed, it comes from Jeni at In Color Order, she has a beautiful blog full of great ideas.


Here's how I made the wreath:

1. Using a 12" styrofoam wreath form:


2. Slice the foam in half, wreath will lay better against the door and bonus! - now you can make 2 wreaths.


3. Use a serrated knife and gently work through all the way around:



4. Now the wreath will rest better against the door:


5. Select fabrics, red and green for Christmas here:


6. Make 2" strips:


7. Iron each strip in half for a finished edge:


8. Start wrapping strips, use hot glue to hold end pieces in place on back, flat side of wreath form:


9. Keep wrapping and tuck final end piece under beginning piece:


10. Cover the back with white felt to hide all the strip ends:


11. Make flower using double sided iron-on fusible interfacing.
Cut out petal shapes in various sizes.
Layer petals and sew on button center:


12. Hot glue flowers into place:



Hang using ribbon:


And the flat back also keeps the wreath from being knocked by 'not-so-careful' visitors coming through the door:


My sister does have a dark blue door so the red and green will really pop against her door.

One wreath coming your way sister.


I'm linking up to:


Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Textiles @ Freckled Laundry





19 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

ADORABLE!!!!!! oh i love love love it, jaime! i said love three times just to emphasize! ;)

Megan said...

I love my wreath! Can't wait to hang it on my door! Thanks!

Lesley said...

Super cute!!! Love the color combination...so cheery! :)

Great tip on cutting the styrofoam base in half!!! I have one of those ready to go and will probably do that!! Thanks!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

LOVE this. Great fabric choices and great tips. I think I will try one of these.

Bronwyn said...

This is great! I love your choice of fabrics. The calico flowers are just the cutest. I pinned this so that i can make one in ther spring for Easter in pastel colours.

BeingBrook said...

Adorable Jaime! Great idea to slice it in half. My boys are always knocking the wreaths off the door. Turned out way cute.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That's cute! I love the half wreath tip~thanks!

Becky said...

This is so adorable, thanks for the tip about cutting the wreath in half!

Crafty Mischief said...

Your wreath is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Cori said...

SO pretty. Thanks for sharing! I love following your blog and I hope you will follow me back over at www.createdbycori.blogspot.com

marissa said...

This is darling I'd love you to add this to my party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

Janel@hatingmartha said...

This is adorable! I would never have thought to cut the base in half...what a great tip!

Jennifer Dawn said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

brilliant!!!

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Love this! The fabrics you used are gorgeous.

I made a few fabric covered wreaths last month. The kids loved helping too.

Jerri said...

I love your wreath! Cute fabrics!

I'd love for you to stop by today and link up at my Friday Favorites party! Today is a special Christmas edition with a giveaway!

{northern cottage} said...

pretty stinking cute - I love the mix of fabrics you chose to use! well done girlie!

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

LULIRAJ said...

I really like that :) Have to do one for myself. TC