Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"G" is for Goody Bags #3

Goody bags for Valentine's Day.


In cute bitty size: 5"w x 4.5"h x 1"thick at bottom:

These are going to school with girl #2 for her Valentine's Day party.
** Limited quantity available in my Etsy shop here.**


Perfect size for some bubbles and chap stick.


All wrapped up in cellophane and ready to go:



Made from drop cloth canvas and cotton gingham they are completely washable too!



Here's how I made them:

1. Supplies needed:

1 - canvas drop cloth (10" x 6")
1 - medium fusible interfacing (10" x 6")
2 - lining fabric (5" x 6")
1 - 5" red zipper
heart applique cut out (free pattern here)
ribbon for zipper pull


I order my zippers in bulk from Jennifer at her Etsy shop: zipit.


For the applique hearts apply fusible interfacing to back of fabric, trace heart shape and cut out:


2. Begin by fusing interfacing to canvas.
Then pin heart applique in place:


Zig zag stitch heart in place:


3. Place zipper face down on right side of canvas then one lining piece:


4. Stitch into place, then press lining over to cover seam and top stitch down to avoid getting caught in zipper:


5. Repeat process for other side:


6. Lining pieces together straight stitch side seams beginning at pouch bottom:


7. Miter corners of canvas for a flat bottom pouch which creates depth for items to fit better inside:


8. Snip mitered corners to get rid of bulk:


9. Turn right side out, press lining bottom raw edge in 1/2" then top stitch closed:


10. Push lining into pouch and press:


11. Press bottom flat edge into pouch for finished look:


12. Add ribbon detail to zipper and seal cut ends with fray check:


Then make 24 more and they're ready for use.


Fill with treats and wrap for giving:


I printed the tags on card stock:


Cut out the words and used double stick tape to adhere to polka dot paper and then red card stock:


Punch holes in the ends:


And tied on with twine:


Happy Valentine's Day!


I'm linking up to:

Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Textiles @ Freckled Laundry
Homemade Valentines Gift Guide @ Grosgrain

30 comments:

Happy in red said...

Wow, these are fantastic! Thanks for the tuto!
Esther.

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

I wanna be in her class! Those are so cute!!

Jenn @ One Thrifty Chick said...

Absolutely adorable! I would love to make something like this, but between the 3 classrooms, that would be over 70 of them! Even for birthday parties would be fun! Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for the great tutorial, I've pinned it on pinterest to try sometime.

birdie blue said...

adorable, love the gingham heart. i would absolutely be interested in ordering some of these for valentine's day. if that's a possibility, please email me at birdieblue@rocketmail.com.

xo
molly

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

omgoodness! As a teacher, I would love to get a bigger version of one of those! you are making want to take a trip to the cloth store to start making some pouches! lol
)
The Teachers’ Cauldron

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

You are one awesome Momma to make these for your daughter's class!! So pretty and perfect! You did an amazing job! Happy New Year! Angie xo

Our Delightful Home said...

Amazing idea!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Allison said...

These are amazing!!


I invite you to add this post (or any other Valentine's Day posts) the Find Some Love Fest on February 1st! 5 blogs, 1 party!

http://www.feedingmytemple.com/2012/01/exciting-announcement.html

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fantastic idea. Great gift for Valentines Day.

Chrissy said...

These are so cute!! Such a thoughtful gift! I love them!

Amanda said...

These make such a lovely gift, thanks for sharing.

A To Zebra Celebrations said...

WOW! WOW!! love them!! this is a perfect link on my party blog- feel free to link here: http://www.atozebracelebrations.blogspot.com/2012/01/totally-cute-crafts-tuesday.html

ReFresh ReStyle said...

I love these, and I would love to make one! I've never put a zipper in! Maybe I will try!
Debbie

craftytexasgirls said...

Make me one! I am so impressed. I usually just do paper bags...maybe I'll up my game this year. Fabulous tutorial. Visiting from 36th Avenue.
:) Samantha

Katie Carter said...

holy cow that's alot of work, you're an AWESOME mom!
you should join me for handmade 52! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2012/01/handmade-52-2.html

K said...

Very ambitious to make 25! Great tutorial, and they turned out very cute! Good idea to use a drop cloth.

Natasha said...

great job

would love it if you could share this on my link party
http://serenityyou.blogspot.com/search/label/Serenity%20Saturday

Natasha xx

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

I'll be featuring you tomorrow...
These little bags are super cute!

spip718 said...

Adorable. Love these. Wish I sewed so I could make them.

Jennifer said...

So cute! Love this idea... if only I had a little girl!

The DIY Show Off said...

So cute, Jaime! I miss having little girls...but these are perfect for grown up girls too! Sharing in tomorrow's highlights. ;)

Elle and Lou said...

Really this is too much! You are amazing to do all of these. I am pinning this on my TO DO board. What a lucky girl you have!
Lou

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

What cute bags! I love the fabrics you chose. Great gifts for Valentine's Day.

Life On Planet Mum said...

The bag is so adorable! Thank you for sharing your tute!

Lauren @ Summit St Joy said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! How fabulous are these?!?! I absolutely love that you used drop cloth. Talented!
would LOVE to have you join our HANDMADE VALENTINE party! :) blessings :)

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

My party just started and I'd LOVE to have you stop by and share this ~ TOTALLY impressive!!!

Overflowing with Creativity

XO, Aimee

freckled laundry said...

Um. You're like the best mom ever. Can't believe you made 25 of these adorable pouches! I guess I better get to work over here! Great tutorial. Your sewing skills are, as always, flawless! I would totally trust you on my sewing crew of two...(you and me)! Thanks for sharing with {air your laundry} friday!

Lolly Jane said...

Stinkin cute. Best mom of the year award! Love these mucho!!

Suzanne said...

I love seeing a whole slew of your bags all lined up and the presentation is fantastic!