Built: headboard from shutters
I took these shutters:
And made them into this:
A little makeover for our Master Bedroom, we started with this:
(Yes it's from my husband's bachelor days but I did paint it white.)
And now have this:
Here's how I made the headboard:
1. Find old shutters (my neighbor left these out on bulk trash day thank you!):
2. Sand down to smooth then cut each shutter in half, making four equal pieces:
3. Paint one coat Annie Sloan paloma grey:
4. Then paint one coat Annie Sloan old ochre:
5. Sand to distress.
Apply Minwax Early American stain:
6. Prepare backing.
Using 3/8" plywood cut 1" less on all sides than shutter layout, attach scrap piece 1x in center for cleat.
Then attach cleat to 1x scrap piece and plywood:
** I also attached a 1x scrap piece near the bottom so the headboard hangs flat against the wall.
7. Place shutters face down (notice I did not paint the backsides) then place plywood backing on top of shutters:
8. Predrill and countersink plywood to shutters using 1 1/4" wood screws.
Use 4 screws on each shutter at the corners:
9. Secure other half of cleat to wall, be sure it's level:
(This cleat claims to be able to hold 200# but the headboard only weighs about 40#.)
10. Carefully place headboard side of cleat into wall side:
Now move bed back into place:
And you would never know the headboard is not attached to the bed.
The shutters add a bit of character and charm.
I'm linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic