Sunday, January 29, 2012

"H" is for Headboard

Built: headboard from shutters






I took these shutters:


And made them into this:


 A little makeover for our Master Bedroom, we started with this:
(Yes it's from my husband's bachelor days but I did paint it white.)


And now have this:



Here's how I made the headboard:

1. Find old shutters (my neighbor left these out on bulk trash day thank you!):


2. Sand down to smooth then cut each shutter in half, making four equal pieces:


3. Paint one coat Annie Sloan paloma grey:


4. Then paint one coat Annie Sloan old ochre:


5. Sand to distress.
Apply Minwax Early American stain:


6. Prepare backing.
Using 3/8" plywood cut 1" less on all sides than shutter layout, attach scrap piece 1x in center for cleat.
Then attach cleat to 1x scrap piece and plywood:

** I also attached a 1x scrap piece near the bottom so the headboard hangs flat against the wall.


7. Place shutters face down (notice I did not paint the backsides) then place plywood backing on top of shutters:


8. Predrill and countersink plywood to shutters using 1 1/4" wood screws.
Use 4 screws on each shutter at the corners:


9. Secure other half of cleat to wall, be sure it's level:
(This cleat claims to be able to hold 200# but the headboard only weighs about 40#.)


10. Carefully place headboard side of cleat into wall side:


Now move bed back into place:


And you would never know the headboard is not attached to the bed.


The shutters add a bit of character and charm.


I'm linking up to:

Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
All Things Furniture @ Perfectly Imperfect
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
POWW @ Primitive & Proper
Before & After Party @ Thrift Decor Chick

20 comments:

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

WOW!

I love your new headboard!!!
You did an amazing - AMAZING - job!!!

Thanks for the tutorial, too.

Becky

Amy said...

Love it. Especially the part where you thankedyourneighbors for the shutters... Awesome. I have to try that annie sloan paint. Looks amazing.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks awesome! i really love the buttery warm color you used!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I'm thinking of replacing our full-size ancient brass bed with a king and this would be perfect for a vintage looking headboard. Thanks so much for sharing your awsome idea. And the tutorial too!!

Feral Turtle said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I have had some old shutters forever and was waiting for the perfect use. Now I have it! Cheers.

Lucy said...

Love it! I wish our town had good trash days like yours. I've been on the hunt for shutters for some time. These sure do add warmth to the room, both in texture, architecture & color.

Lesley said...

One of my favs you have ever done! Super cool! Did you change your pic on your profile?? You look completely different! I threw me for a minute. lol

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is just lovely! How wonderful that you were able to get those shutters for FREE!

Meg and Mum's said...

It looks gorgeous Jaime! Great work and so much better. I'd love it if you'd share this at my Saturday Splendour Party which is still open :)

Inspire Me Heather said...

You. Are. Amazing. Love it Jaime, the prefect amount of shabby too!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love the color. Nice job.

Tisha said...

I have a pair of found-in-the-trash unpainted shutters, already cut in half. I've just been waiting for the right inspiration to hit me. Boom! Thank you!! Pinning, following, and hoping you'll share this great project at my linkup party going on now @ the Delectable Home.

Stephanie said...

Pinned it - Love it - Want one too. Thanks for posting. The directions are great abd easy to follow.

Meg said...

That looks awesome!! I love the shutter look!

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

Fabulous work once again..I am impressed!

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

I really like seeing unconventional ways of making headboards. This looks fantastic! And thanks for showing how you hung it.

Warmly, Michelle

aimee said...

what a beautiful idea i love it. it would be great if you get chance to link this up to my party going on now at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-show-off-linky-party.html

thanks aimee xxxx

Waseem said...

How wonderful you did with these shutters....just stunning.


window shutters clayton, ca

yugandher Reddy said...

The headboard looks like it is attached to the bed but after seeing the process it was amazing how you did.
Rolling Shutters

Mel said...

I never even heard of a cleat but I love how it looks like its hanging in air! Great job!