Thursday, February 23, 2012

"D" is for Dresses

Sew: Spring dresses for my girls


Seersucker, white cotton yoke neck and ruffles, we're ready for Spring.






And yes that is my girl #2 and girl #1 on the beach in New York in February.
No school this week and the weather is balmy!




Here's how I made the dresses:

1. Using Simplicity pattern #2270 dress B:


2. Cut out pieces:
- blue seersucker for the dress front, back and ruffle
- white Kona cotton for the yoke neck


3. Follow the pattern for construction.



4. Add the ruffled trim, 3/4" wide seersucker cut on the bias, twice the circumference of the dress.
Gather using loose zigzag stitch, pin in place and straight stitch.


We have multiple Spring events this year: Baptism, First Holy Communion, birthdays and Graduation so these dresses are bound to get some good use.

Thanks girls for modeling!


I'm linking up to:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Textiles @ Freckled Laundry

19 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

the dresses are beautiful, but your girls are so adorable!!!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

On the beach in February! You lucky girls! The dresses (and the children) are adorable.

Lorraine B said...

Your girls are adorable!

Melissa said...

I'm such a sucker for seersucker. Love the ruffles at the bottom.

Katy said...

#1: the girls are gorgeous, #2: those dresses are too

Mama Jodi said...

Such adorable dresses. Thanks for the tutorial.

Sarah said...

SO cute, oh my word. :)

Abby said...

Very very cute! I love round neck yokes and seersucker is such a great fabric.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Those are adorable! So are the little girls modeling them.

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

The dresses are adorable and the girls look so sweet. I made matching dresses for my girls, who are now grown, and they always loved them. It is fun to see seersucker being used again.

Brandi said...

Your girls and their dresses are adorable!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Those are so preppy cute!!! Please come link it up at my party tonight! Starts at 9, link up once appear on 4 blogs!

♥Linsey at The Farmhouse Porch

Helen and her Daughters said...

Those are so sweet, I think I'm going to try to make some for my great nieces.

Pam said...

These are adorable. White and blue is such lovely combination...

Jelli said...

Those models sure are cute! Good work on the dresses.

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Love this! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party and would love for you to stop by and share this...http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html

Michael said...

lOVE THEM - REALLY PRETTY

Amber Heidi said...

These are so adorable!! I will be looking for that pattern - my girl needs a dress like this for this summer. And the seersucker! SO CUTE!

Heidi

handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com