Built: nailhead stool with leather cushion
Using plans from Ana White here.
The inspiration piece: Pottery Barn's Caden nailhead stool:
image from Pottery Barn
Yes you can make this stool yourself and save a bundle:
Complete with false ends to mimic the mortise and tenon joinery:
Upholstered in leather with nailhead trim:
Here's how I made the stool:
1. Cut pieces using Ana's plans here.
2. Assemble using #10 - 2 1/2"wood screws and glue, predrill always:
3. Attach false ends with liquid nails and use painters tape to hold in place while drying:
4. Sand smooth, stain with Minwax Special Walnut.
Seal with wipe on clear stain poly.
5. Cut 2" foam piece to fit, rounding off the edges:
6. Layout leather to determine best part to use.
(I purchased this leather here on ebay.)
7. Cut leather to size - about 24"l x 18"w.
Also cut a piece of quilt batting same size.
8. Check for fit with foam piece:
9. Place foam on seat first, then batting, then leather.
The batting will soften the edges of the foam.
10. Using a staple gun start in the middle on a long side and go back and forth from side to side, pulling taught as you go (I recommend sitting on it while doing this but don't get it too tight.)
11. Do the corners hospital sheet style, folding in and then over:
12. For the trim cut one long piece 1 1/4" x 70" and purchase decorative nails.
(I used Dritz 3/8" in antique bronze, available at Joanns.)
13. Folding raw edges in on each other, overlapping slightly:
14. Then place the raw edge down over the staples and hammer the nail into place.
Begin in the middle of one side and cut the leather to end up overlapping directly under the last nail:
15. See below how the seam is directly under the nail, hiding it.
16. To achieve the distressed look, rough up the leather with sandpaper, wire brush, etc.
With use the leather will get even more aged and distressed:
I'm linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic