Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DIY Turf Wreath

Make a Spring wreath covered with turf.

diy artificial turf wreath
Artificial turf is inexpensive, lasts forever and has a brilliant green color perfect for Spring and St. Patrick's Day projects.

The green turf is also the perfect backdrop for fake flowers and bright ribbon.

I had some turf leftover from this turf mantle cover:

diy artificial turf mantle cover

and a turf table runner:

diy artificial turf table runner

So I thought I'd continue the turf tradition with something new by making a turf wreath:

diy artificial turf wreath

Below are the steps to make this wreath.

Supplies:
  • 12" styrofoam wreath form
  • serrated knife
  • artifical turf (door mat size or larger)
  • hot glue gun & hot glue
  • silk flowers
  • floral wire
  • ribbon

cut a foam wreath form in half to make 2 wreaths

Step 1: Using a 12" styrofoam wreath form, saw in half with serrated knife:

Now you can make 2 wreaths for the price of 1 and your wreath will lie flat against the door.

cut a foam wreath form in half to make 2 wreaths

Step 2: Cut out a circle of artificial turf big enough to wrap around the edges of the wreath form.

diy artificial turf wreath

Step 3: Hot glue the turf to the front and outer edges of the wreath form wrapping around to the back.
For the inner circle be sure to clip the turf so it lies flat and doesn't buckle.

Step 4: Organize the fake flowers in bunches.

diy artificial turf wreath

Step 5: Secure flowers using floral wire and hot glue.

Step 6: Add ribbon to center of flowers.

diy artificial turf wreath

Step 7: For oilcloth hanger cut long strip and top stitch edges.

diy artificial turf wreath

Step 8: Wrap one long piece around wreath.  To make the bow form 2 loops and hot glue in center.
Make center of bow by folding oilcloth in half.

Then wrap skinny center piece around middle of bow, pinching bow, hot glue to hold.

diy artificial turf wreath

Step 9: Hot glue bow into place at top of hanging piece.

Now you're ready for Spring and St. Patrick's Day too!

diy artificial turf wreath

diy artificial turf wreath

Here you can see how it rests flatter against the door, less bulk for folks to bang into when they come through the door:

diy artificial turf wreath

Love the fun, playful feeling of turf, makes me wish Spring was here already.

diy artificial turf wreath

9 comments:

  1. love the wreath. unusual, and clever... my favorite combination.

    where do you buy the artificial turf?

    xo
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is really cute! I haven't seen a wreath put together like this. I just love your table setting also...it's just soo Springy and I'm soo ready for Spring to come! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bright green color really grabbed me. Then it cracked me up when I saw what you'd used! Love the flowers you added, you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love it! Who would have thought that turf would have looked so cute? Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wreath is cute, and I love the tablescape as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this wreath. It looks perfect. Thank you for sharing.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I love this. Where did you get turf and how much was it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, take a bow!

    You've put a "spring" in my step with your creative loveliness.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Thanks for linking it up to our Countdown to Spring Party! (I'll be featuring it tomorrow!)
    Kim @ Sand & Sisal

    ReplyDelete