Basic envelope style lumbar pillows and outdoor seat cushions:
Made to fit a 'top secret' chair project that I can't reveal quite yet but I can show you how I made the pillows and cushions.
I made two envelope style pillow covers of each: patchwork, bright green floral with polka dots, and big pink dots with polka dots:
The green and pink pillow covers have a self flange to give a finished look without adding extra trim:
All 6 pillow covers are the same size and fit on two lumbar pillow inserts I made with simple lining fabric and poly filling.
Here's how I made the pillows:
1. Cut 2.5" squares and layout:
2. Sew squares into strips:
3. Sew strips together and make quilt sandwich: white backing, batting and patchwork top:
4. Pin sandwich then quilt 1/4" off of seams in both directions:
5. Trim edges:
6. To make envelop style cut 2 back pieces to overlap at least 5":
7. Finish overlapping edges by folding under raw edge and again then straight stitch.
Place right sides together:
8. Sew all around edge and trim corners:
9. Turn right side out and insert pillow form:
Pink and green pillow covers:
1. Cut front piece then cut 2 back pieces to overlap.
Finish overlapping edges of back pieces then place right sides together:
2. Sew all around edge and trim corners:
3. Turn right side out and press seams flat:
4. Top stitch all around edge inset by 1/2" to create flange:
5. Insert pillow form:
Outdoor striped cushion covers:
1. Cut 1.5" foam cushion to fit seat area.
Cut outdoor fabric wide enough to fit foam piece, folding in half to fit depth of cushion:
** Be conscious of stripe, in my case I placed the blue stripe in the middle.
Wrap cushion with fabric wrong side out then pin snugly on both sides:
** Try not to pin the foam with the fabric.
Begin pinning at the front curve all the way down the side leaving the back edge open:
2. Remove foam insert and sew on the line made by the pins, trim excess fabric:
3. Turn right side out and insert foam cushion:
4. Fold in seam allowance at back edge and pin shut:
5. Whip stitch back seam closed with carpet or quilting thread:
Ready to use:
Then add the lumbar pillows and the chair is complete:
I'm linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic