Build: monogrammed carved headboard
I built and painted this simple carved headboard for my girl #1:
Inspired by the Monarch bed from Land of Nod:
I designed a similar layout and cut the headboard from 1/2" MDF with a jigsaw.
It has a low profile and pretty, girly, curvy lines:
And I added her monogram to make it personal and add a bit of color:
Her bed sits in a funky spot right under the eaves so this headboard made for a good fit:
It's attached to the wall with a French cleat and not to the bed.
1/2" MDF (4' x 8' sheet) = $24
French cleat = $15
primer, paint, poly (had on hand)
Total cost to make this headboard = $39
I gave her space a makeover, here's the complete before and after:
Here's how I made the headboard:
1. Draw headboard design on craft paper (only half of size needed):
This is a full size at 55"w, the paper is 27.5".
2. You need 1/2" MDF cut at 55"w x 48"h.
Layout the pattern at the halfway point and trace the curvy edge:
3. Flip the pattern over and repeat for the other side:
4. Cut curvy design with jigsaw:
(MDF cuts like butter but it's heavy, you could use plywood but it's much more difficult to get a smooth, curvy cut.)
5. Sand rough edges:
6. Prime one coat Zinsser cover stain.
Paint two coats Benjamin Moore high gloss white enamel:
7. Print out monogram.
I used Monogram KK font at 500 and 625 point:
8. Using a ballpoint pen trace the letters with heavy pressure:
9. The pressure of the pen leaves a slight indent in the MDF, just visible enough here:
10. Using a DecoArt Traditions round #3 brush and Americana acrylic paint in peony pink:
11. Paint on and inside the indent, two coats needed:
12. Seal with spray clear acrylic gloss:
13. Attach one side of French cleat to back of headboard:
And other side to wall:
Hang and enjoy.
I'm linking up to:
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic