Sew: monogrammed chevron beach tote bag
Easy to make and personalize your own beach tote:
Inspired by this beach tote from Pottery Barn teen:
image from pbteen.com
I made my own version with navy chevron fabric and added a fuschia monogram:
This version is lined with drop cloth canvas:
It's deep and big, measuring 20"w x 16"h x 7.5"deep:
Here's how I made the monogrammed chevron beach tote:
1 - chevron exterior fabric @ 41" x 21"
1 - fusible interfacing @ 41" x 21" (iron to wrong side of chevron)
1 - drop cloth lining fabric @ 38" x 21"
2 - chevron fabric strips @ 3" x 21"
5/8" thick poly rope @ 40"
fabric letters (click here to see how I make the fabric letters)
2. Pin letters in place about 4" down from top edge:
3. Zig zag stitch in place:
4. Sew 3" chevron strips to drop cloth lining piece at both short ends:
5. Fold exterior chevron piece in half, right sides together and sew side seams 1/2"SA:
(Press seams open.)
6. To make the mitered corners press the side seam flat against the folded base making a triangle:
Mark at 7.5" wide.
7. Sew mitered corner then clip excess bulk:
8. Repeat steps 5 - 8 for drop cloth lining piece.
Be sure to line up chevron seam when sewing side seams together:
9. Turn drop cloth lining right side out and stuff into exterior bag piece (right sides together):
Cut 2 - 20" pieces of rope.
10. Pin rope handles in between lining and exterior chevron, 6" from side seams leaving at least 1" hanging out then pin remaining top seam all around:
11. Sew top shut with 1/2"SA leaving at least a 6" gap open preferably near the back and NOT over any of the rope sections:
12. Turn bag right side out through the opening in the top seam:
13. Push drop cloth lining down into bag and press top seam smooth, pin in place to ready for top stitching:
14. Top stitch 5 rows. This adds extra strength to the rope handle and creates a decorative finish:
Ready for the beach or pool.
I'm linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic