Build and paint: butterfly growth chart
A friend requested this growth chart for her daughter Molly.
This growth chart has spots to mark her height as she grows and picture holes:
The butterflies are wood cutouts adhered to MDF board:
Oval picture holes provide a visual reminder of Molly at that height:
Each hole has a plastic sleeve on the back to hold the picture:
Here's how I made the growth chart:
1. I started with a sketch:
The actual dimensions are 41"h x 7"w.
2. Using 1/2" MDF mark out 41"h x 7"w including clouds that stick off the sides.
Then use an oval template for each picture hole:
3. Layout wood butterfly cutouts to be sure everything fits good and no picture holes are covered by butterflies:
4. Cut out using jigsaw.
Then begin cutting out oval picture holes with a spade bit making a circle hole at each top and bottom:
5. Secure each large butterfly from the back with glue and 3/4" wood screws countersunk:
6. Then glue on the small thin wood butterflies:
7. Chaulk around the large butterflies for seamless look:
I used all acrylic craft paints.
10. Mark off measurements and add lines and numbers with black paint:
11. The antenna are made from colored beading wire, 24 gauge:
12. Make a hole for the wire with a thick straight pin:
13. Apply E-6000 adhesive to end of wire and insert into hole:
14. Curl ends of antenna by wrapping around a pen:
15. The photo holders are plastic 4" x 6" sleeves:
16. Trim off the sleeve excess and apply E-6000 glue around edge then adhere to back of board:
Then add sawtooth hanger:
Be sure to hang at the correct height off the floor for accurate measurements!
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic