Sunday, August 5, 2012

"H" is for Handpainted

Paint: how to handpaint without stencils


Or how to handpaint using any font, any size.

I made this sign for a friend's country house in Millerton, NY using the same handpainting technique I always use.



Here's how to handpaint without stencils:

1. Print out letters using your font of choice, here I used Bordeaux Roman Bold at 550 point.
Position printouts on painted wood board and using a ballpoint pen trace the outline of each letter.
The printout has become your 'stencil':


The pressure from the ballpoint pen leaves a slight indent in the wood:


2. Using a small brush (I prefer a #3 round), paint on and inside the indent:


3. Then add border details - stars and lines:



4. Seal the sign with Minwax clear satin poly, I prefer to paint on the poly with a sponge brush but you could use the aerosol version too.
Add sawtooth hangers to the back.




I'm linking up to:

Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello
SAS @ Funky Junk
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

6 comments:

Tam said...

I love your signs but I don't understand how to figure out how to size the letters that sounds confusing. Lets try it this way ok I have an 8 ft board by 6 inch wide and I wanted do put welcome on it. How to I go about figuring and laying it out to print out. I know about font size but if I wanted the letters to be 5 inches high I don't understand the font size. Wow this post is confusing I should delete it.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love your sign. How wonderful. Hugs, Marty

Jaye Leon said...

That's gorgeous! I tried this technique on a Home Made Chalk Paint chair. Didn't work! Then I realized that my recipe for the chalk paint had plaster of paris in it! Nothing was going to dent that stuff - I had basically made a big ceramic mold out of my chair! Haha - lesson learned. I'm still going to try this on something else. It's good to know since I also can't stencil worth a darn!

Jaye @ Just Tryin' to Make Cents of it All

Debra said...

Your sign looks great! Thanks for sharing how you did it.

Melissa@TheHappierHomemaker said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Laura Martino Morison said...

Any chance you would be willing to make and sell one to me?!