Build: monogrammed mudroom locker bins
The finishing touch to this locker and bench unit I had built:
Each kid needed a personalized bin for their locker so I made square bins to fit the space complete with their monogram:
The finished size of each bin is 11 1/2"w x 11 3/4"d x 8 1/4"h:
I love seeing the kids actually using the lockers, baskets and bins, it makes all the hard work worth it to know they're getting good use of the piece:
Here's how I made the mudroom locker bins:
1. Cut 1/2" birch plywood to size:
10 @ 11 1/2" x 8"
10 @ 10 3/4" x 8"
2. Assemble using 2" finish nails, I prefer to preset the nails in the end pieces then glue and hammer into the sides (if I had a nail gun this would be much easier!):
3. To ensure the glue and boxes dry square secure with clamps:
4. Cut and nail 1/4" plywood on the bottom then sand:
5. Make handle cutout using circular spade bit. I forgot to do this before assembly so I secured a piece of scrap behind my cut to prevent splitting:
Start with circles at either end:
Then use jigsaw for middle portion:
6. Paint two coats BM Aura Ocean City blue, then distress edges:
7. Print letters to size, line up and trace outline using ballpoint pen:
8. Paint on and inside indent left from the pen using dark brown:
9. Seal with clear satin poly using foam brush.
10. Cut white felt to fit base, apply spray adhesive to felt then smooth onto base:
11. Trim edges with scissors:
Ready to use.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic