Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"M" is for Mudroom Bins #5

Build: monogrammed mudroom locker bins

Each kid needed a personalized bin for their locker so I made square bins to fit the space complete with their monogram:

The finished size of each bin is 11 1/2"w x 11 3/4"d x 8 1/4"h:

I love seeing the kids actually using the lockers, baskets and bins, it makes all the hard work worth it to know they're getting good use of the piece:

Here's how I made the mudroom locker bins:

1. Cut 1/2" birch plywood to size:

10 @ 11 1/2" x 8"
10 @ 10 3/4" x 8"

2. Assemble using 2" finish nails, I prefer to preset the nails in the end pieces then glue and hammer into the sides (if I had a nail gun this would be much easier!):

3. To ensure the glue and boxes dry square secure with clamps:

4. Cut and nail 1/4" plywood on the bottom then sand:

5. Make handle cutout using circular spade bit.  I forgot to do this before assembly so I secured a piece of scrap behind my cut to prevent splitting:

Start with circles at either end:

Then use jigsaw for middle portion:

6. Paint two coats BM Aura Ocean City blue, then distress edges:

7. Print letters to size, line up and trace outline using ballpoint pen:

8. Paint on and inside indent left from the pen using dark brown:

9. Seal with clear satin poly using foam brush.

10. Cut white felt to fit base, apply spray adhesive to felt then smooth onto base:

11. Trim edges with scissors:

Ready to use.

I'm linking up to:

SAS @ Funky Junk
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming


Velud'arte said...

Wow, fantastic.
I love that kind of arrangement.
I appreciate so a house full of kids :)

Kelsey Poofy Cheeks said...

They turned out great and I love the pic with the kiddos standing in their own spots ;)

Homey Home Design said...

I LOVE these! Thanks for sharing how you put them together! I just may try these myself!

daiseyjayne said...

The kids look too cute and boxes are really sharp, and I have to tell you I'm so impressed that you know how to build all of your amazing projects yourself!