Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"C" is for Classroom

Paint: chalkboard classroom signs

I made chalkboard classroom signs for each teacher at my kids school:

The names have been blacked out for privacy reasons but here they are all lined up like soldiers:

I used black chalkboard paint for the background and white high gloss enamel for the lettering then framed out each sign with 3/8" outside L moulding:

Here's how I made the classroom signs:

1. Cut 1/4" plywood 9" x 2.5" (9" is the base length, some names are longer):

2. Paint two coats Rustoleum black chalkboard, sand in between:

3. Print out teacher names, I used Calibri font at 100 point.
Center name on wood and using ballpoint pen trace outside of letters with heavy pressure:

4. Paint on and inside the indent left behind by the pen:
I used Rustoleum high gloss white enamel.

Miter cut pieces to fit all four sides.
Use wood glue in crevice and attach all four sides:

Use rubber bands as clamps to hold moulding in place while glue dries:

6. Once dry remove rubber bands and lightly sand corners:

I'm linking up to:

SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming


Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Wow! What a very thoughtful gift(s). These look great!

daiseyjayne said...

really cute!

Miss F said...

I love those! So cute, I'd love to make some for some fellow teachers!

-Liz @