Friday, September 14, 2012

"P" is for Planter

Build: wood planter from fence piece


I built this planter from a scrap piece of fencing, pallet boards and two pine boards.
Total cost: $3


A huge thank you to Ana White as usual for her free plans.  I used her cedar planter plans as a guide for my planter.

This fencing piece had been sitting in our garage since we moved in 7 years ago and I finally put it to good use:

  

The planter holds our Fall mums which coordinate with the new orange front door:




Here's how I made the planter:

1. Disassemble fence piece and cut boards, I cut mine at 19" long.
Using Ana's plans make 4 sides, I used pallet wood for the top and bottom support pieces at 15" long:


2. Assemble box with 2x2 legs (cut at 22").
Then add top 1x2 trim mitered to cover the exposed edges:


3. I used the back fence support pieces as my bottom rails, here they are set 8" down for the mum pots but only screwed in and NO glue:
In the future if I need to adjust the depth for a different pot I can move the rails without a problem.


4. The raw 1x2 and 2x2 boards are finished using a vinegar/steel wool mixture which ages the wood instantaneously, BE CAREFUL to avoid getting the mixture on the fence and pallet pieces.


All ready:


I'm linking up to:

Countdown to Fall @ Sand and Sisal
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

8 comments:

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

I love your planter and your beautiful painted orange front door.

Dee

Cristina Garay said...

Love it! I was looking for new planters for my front entrance, looking at your nice planters gives me inspiration for building my own. Thanks!

Claire said...

Hi-just wanted you to know I featured you on my Saturday favs-have a great weekend! Claire

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

that is a great job I think :)
and do not miss...

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y


S
H
O
W

O
F
F

it is FUN :)
WELOCOME
HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

Kim Wilson said...

The planter turned out great! I love Ana White don't you?! Your door color looks amazing with the planter too! Thanks for joining our Countdown to Fall Party!
~Kim @ Sand & Sisal

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

I love the two tone effect of the planter. We actually just took apart some old fencing similar to yours but I was thinking I'd use mine for an air conditioner fence/hider.

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

New fan here. I love projects that use pallets! I hope I can persuade you to come share on my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html

Madge Bloom said...

Love this planter, clever!