Friday, October 26, 2012

"W" is for Wood Bunting

Build and paint: wood name bunting


A gift for new baby boy Colton.
It's made from a pine board cut into bunting triangles, painted and secured with jute onto manila rope.




I hung this bunting on my son's clubhouse bed purely for picture purposes but it will make the perfect addition to Colton's nursery.


The 3/4" thick wood gives this bunting weight and dimension.
Room decor that will stand the test of time as he grows into a young man.



A very easy and fast gift to make.


Here's how I made the wood bunting:

1. I used a scrap piece of 1x6 pine board cut at 7" lengths, then set my miter saw at 22.5 degrees to make two miter cuts.  Each triangle measures about 7"h x 5.5"w.

Then drill holes at the top for the jute string:


2. Paint two coats blue:


3. Sand to distress edges well.
Print out letters to fit. (I used Ariel font.)


4. Line up letter and trace with ballpoint pen:


5. Paint on and inside the indent left behind by the ballpoint pen:


6. Stain to age with Minwax early american:


7. Seal with Minwax spray poly semi-gloss.
Thread jute string through holes:


8. Tie jute string pieces onto 3/8" manila rope:


Hang and enjoy!


I'm linking up to:

SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Jamie, what a clever idea! Thanks for the inspiration! If you're interested, stop on over to my blog, too, Thrift Diving!

    Serena
    www.ThriftDiving.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cute! You need to make one just for your son now; it's perfect for the clubhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this!
    Its definitely getting added to my very long to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea, Jamie! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wood banner! Looks great on the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete