Saturday, November 10, 2012

"Q" is for Quilt Window

Sew: quilt window art


An old window serves as the perfect frame for a quilt:




I made the quilt pieces to fit the window panes using 2" strip piecing for 1 1/2" finished squares:


But you could just as easily use an old quilt or portions of a damaged vintage quilt to create the same effect.



Here's how I made the quilt window art:

1. Find an old window.
I happen to have an extremely generous contractor friend who saves construction items I can use:


2. Clean all the dirt and grime:


And scrap off any excess paint from the glass:


3. Cut 2" fabric strips from your scrap bin:


4. Start strip piecing in random order:
Then cut strips at 2" and keep repeating.


5. Lay out strips to ensure random placement:
My pieces ended up 7 rows x 5 columns in order to fit in the panes.


6. Sandwich just like a regular quilt.
Top, batting, backing then pin:


7. Quilt as desired:


8. Then wash and dry to get that great puckered, quilted texture.
Because the edges are not finished you may have a tangled mess like this:


9. Cut apart the mess and press each piece.

10. Cut foam core to fit each pane.
I had adhesive backed foam core on hand but you could use spray adhesive as well:


11.  Secure quilt piece to foam core, trim excess fabric then press into place.
Use wire brads or similar and nail into wood grids to keep foam core in place:


12.  Add 2 sawtooth hangers at top: 


Enjoy!


I'm linking up to:

SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now
air your laundry Friday @ Freckled Laundry

12 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Oh, wow, Jaime, this is SO pretty! Great work.

Gwen said...

Your quilted window art just jumped right out at me over at Vanessa's! I LOVE it so much... it's just so bright and cheery!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

This is amazing! I'd love to have you join my Pin Me Linky Party because this is an awesome idea! I'm going to pin it now! I am following via GFC, Pinterst, & Twitter!

Diana
Diana Rambles
Bento Blog Network
Link Rink

Karen said...

This is so awesome! I have a window from my Grandparents barn, and this would be a perfect project for me use for it.

Schulz Family said...

This is great. I love it. Visiting from nifty thrifty things

daiseyjayne.com said...

This is over-the-top fabulous!! I've never seen anything like it, gorgeous :)

Ana-Lu said...

Really great idea and beautifully done!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is so UNIQUE! Love the idea to use an old quilt. I picked up a vintage quilt a few years ago and it has some bare spots. This would be perfect.

Stopping over from Serenity Now.

Crystelle Boutique said...

I am in love! This is the cutest upcycled window I've seen to date. And I'm not kidding! You are so amazing to make this, and you are so kind for telling us how....
You ROCK!

Enjoy your window!

hugs x
Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

I love this idea I just shared it on my FB page and I am pinning!

tlcala4me said...

Everything about this project screams "awesome". What a great idea. Well documented, for the rest of us to learn from. I'm a farm girl and I want to do something like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cristina Garay said...

Oh Wow, this is beautiful! It gives me great ideas, thanks for sharing!