Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"A" is for Applique Burp Cloths

Sew: applique burp cloths


Sew a single letter monogram and ribbon onto plain white burp cloths for a one-of-a-kind personalized baby gift.


We don't know the gender of Baby B yet so I used gender neutral orange and green color combinations:


But Baby T is definitely a boy, his set is all-American red, white and blue:



Not every burp cloth needs to be personalized, adding a few to the group with just grosgrain ribbon keeps it fun and fresh:


But it's really easy and fast to applique a giant letter onto a plain white burp cloth:


Here's how to make applique burp cloths:

1. Purchase ready made burp cloths, usually a 10 or 12 pack.

2. Gather coordinating fabrics and ribbons:


3. To make fabric letter for applique first print out letter in desired font and size.
I used Bookman Old School at 300 point.
Iron on interfacing to wrong side of fabric then using a light box place print out right side down on light box, place fabric right side down on top of print out and trace outline with pencil:


4. Cut out letters along traced lines:


5. Pin letter in place near one end of burp cloth:


6. Use a tight zig zag stitch around all edges to applique in place:



I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

7 comments:

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

These are super cute. I hope you will add this and any other posts you're proud of to my link party!

Marissa @ Rae Gun Ramblings

Bonny Yokeley said...

When my daughter was born, several friends gave me homemade burp cloths similar to these, and I loved them. Now that I've learned to sew and have a new nephew on the way, I am going to pin this to make some for him. Thanks!

senovia said...

These are adorable!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

So cute! I wouldn't want a baby staining it! LOL!

Laurie@SimplyCreatingHome said...

Perfect gift for a new mom! I just love these and how they can be personalized for each mom and new little one. I'll be pinning to my sewing board.

Laurie@SimplyCreatingHome said...

Perfect gift for a new mom! I just love these and how they can be personalized for each mom and new little one. I'll be pinning to my sewing board.

carolinecskinner1@gmail.com said...

Where do you purchase your burp cloths?