Monday, January 14, 2013

"C" is for Chalkboard Valentines

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

Easy to make chalkboard valentines from chipboard cutouts, a little paint and chalk:

diy chalkboard valentines using chipboard cutouts
I added a ribbon hanger for the kids:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

A red stack for the boys:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

The chalk wipes off super easy with a cloth:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

And I secured a small tag onto the backside with my kids names:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

All wrapped up and ready to hand out:

DIY chalkboard valentines wrapped in cellophane

We could've wrote each classmate's name on the chalkboard but I decided to leave the boards blank to make it easier for passing out in class.

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

This would be a great non-candy alternative for Valentine's Day but we did sneak in a few tootsie rolls:
DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.
Here's how to make the chalkboard valentines:

1. Purchase chipboard shapes, I bought these at Michaels on super clearance, $.10 for a 5 pack.
Trace a circular shape for the chalkboard center:

DIY chalkboard valentines chipboard cutouts

2. Paint the white scalloped outer edge using white high gloss enamel:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

3. Paint black chalkboard in the center circle:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

 4. Add pink and red dots:
(I used the base of a marker to get the circle shape then went over with a paintbrush.)

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

5. Add ribbon hanger and tie chalk to household string.

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

6. Add label to back if desired:

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

7. Package in cello bags with or without candy, see pic above.

DIY chalkboard valentines.  How to make single chalkboard valentines.

For more candy free valentines ideas click here:

diy candy free valentines

7 comments:

Art and Sand said...

These are too cute. I can't believe it isn't January 15 and you already have the Valentines ready. I am usually making them on February 13.

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

I absolutely love these! How cute and original.

Angela

Maria said...

Oh how cute!!!! I love this idea, they look so adorable!

Just Simply Live said...

Cutest thing I ever did see

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

So cute! Great idea! I'm pinning this to my Valentine's board.

T'onna @ Submarine Sunday
http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-15.html

Tulip TrueAim said...

Those are so easy and cute. I love alternatives to candy. Thanks for sharing! Pinned and I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim!

McKenzie Guymon said...

What a cute idea! I am pinning this for later!