Sunday, January 20, 2013

"C" is for Craftsman Chalkboard

Build: craftsman chalkboard



I used Ana White's Craftsman Frame plans, resized to use up some wood scraps and ended up with a fun chalkboard for my kids room:

Ana's plans are so wonderful, surprisingly they make a perfect spot for chalk to rest:


The craftsman frame took about 15 minutes to build, honestly it's so fast and easy:



Here's how to make the craftsman framed chalkboard:

1. Using Ana's plans as a guide cut your wood:

My cuts are:
2 - 1x3 @ 23.5"
1 - 1x3 @27"
1 - 1x2 @ 27"
1 - 1x3 @ 28"
1 - 1x2 @28"
3/8" plywood @ 24" x 27"


2. Assemble with pocket hole screws and glue:
(picture below is the back view)


3. Sand and paint.
I used two coats Glidden lucky shamrock:


4. Paint plywood piece two coats black chalkboard paint:


5. Distress frame edges and apply Minwax Early American stain:


6. Seal with Minwax clear satin poly:


7. Screw chalkboard painted plywood piece onto frame from back.
Add hangers.


I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic

inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

5 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love it- the color is awesome, jaime!

Maureen said...

Really cute and I'm always impressed that you made it yourself!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

I love it. Especially the pennant!!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Saw you at Serenity Now. This is cute and I just love the GREEN color you painted it!

Debbie Cadene said...

Hi Jamie...I realize this is an older post, but I was wondering about the board on the back of this. Since we are attaching the plywood chalkboard to the back of this, I am guessing the whole frame won't be flat to the wall. Would it be too much trouble to post a picture of how it looks from the backside with the chalkboard screwed down?? I can visualize it, but most times when I do this, I'm wrong.
thanks bunches,
Debora Cadene