Build: portable folding chalkboard easel
Build your own portable folding double-sided chalkboard easel with plans from Ana White.
Or build two:
By far my most favorite build project to date.
And even better this project runs about $20 per easel.
Simply collapse the easel, lift and carry where ever you want to go.
And now it's flat for storage as well!
The ropes hold the easel open when in use, hinges for folding and handle for easy carrying:
I came across this easel below online and thought for certain with Ana's plans we could build the easel for way cheaper than $50 (plus shipping):
But we made it even better with a handle for portability and painted it fun colors:
Ana's plans even include the perfect little chalk ledge:
My girls this morning before school:
If you're looking for a smaller tabletop version check my post here:
And don't forget to make a zipper chalk pouch to store all the chalk pieces:
Here's how to build the folding chalkboard easel:
1. Using Ana's plans cut lumber:
(I definitely recommend 1/8" hardboard for the chalkboard - it's super smooth surface makes a great chalkboard.)
2. Assemble frames, only 6 pocket holes per side:
3. Add the chalkboard ledge from the back. Glue and clamp the 1x2 ledge in place, predrill and countersink 2" screws from the back:
4. Paint frame and paint chalkboards - separately:
5. Attach chalkboard to backside of frame: lay frame face down on table with chalk ledge flush to edge of table:
6. Drill holes for rope from the front:
(I used 3/8" sisal rope.)
7. Then flip over and attach hinges:
8. Attach hinges to other frame.
Thread rope through holes and knot, equal on both sides.
Finally add handle at center top of one frame.
I'm linking up to:SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic