Monday, March 11, 2013

"B" is for Boxy Pencil Pouches

Sew: boxy pencil pouches


Easy to sew boxy drop cloth canvas pencil pouches with rainbow print lining and rainbow colored zippers.



These pencil pouches are part of a party favor.
I made these pencil holder party favors and then started thinking about how the girls would transport their favors home?


Solution: boxy pencil pouches:


I used a pattern from spiegelstiksels blog, it's in Dutch and doesn't seem to translate well but her pictures give a good step by step.



Here's how to make the boxy pencil pouches:

1. Make a paper pattern using the dimensions from spiegelstiksels blog post here.

2. Cut 2 drop cloth exterior, 2 cotton lining, 2 interfacing, 1 - 10" zipper:
(I used 12" metal zippers purchased as a rainbow set from Zip It here.)


3. Start by sewing in zipper:


4. Sew both sides then top stitch drop cloth (and lining together) to keep from getting caught in zipper:


5. Place right sides together and sew bottom seams, be sure to leave 4" opening in lining at center:


6. Sandwich long ends together and stitch across, start and stop 3/8" from ends:


7. To make mitered corners pinch open corners together and sew both lining and exterior.

8. Turn right side out, slip stitch closed the opening in lining at center bottom:




I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

4 comments:

KC Coake said...

What darling pencil holders! I bet the would work for other things, too! I love the colors.
I would love if you would share this at my link party. http://www.realcoake.com/2013/03/real-family-fun-5.html
Take care,
KC

Schulz Family said...

Visiting from Frugal Friday. I love these.

Colleen said...

I love these! I was hoping to find instructions for something like this for my art pens and pencils when I travel! Thank you so very much! :)

My Family and Me said...

I'm having trouble with the corners, can't seem to get them right. Do you have a picture of that step? The one on the Dutch site isn't clear to me either... not sure why I'm having such a hard time understanding! Thanks!