Friday, March 8, 2013

"H" is for Hardware Cloth Easter Baskets

Craft: hardware cloth Easter baskets



 A grown up Easter basket made from hardware cloth scraps, plywood and apple basket parts.




I can't take full credit for this one.  After making the hardware cloth containers earlier this week I still had lots of scrap pieces left over that I still wanted to use.

Inspired by this magazine basket from The Art of Doing Stuff:


I used my small scraps to make an Easter basket version:


Two years ago I put a ban on Easter grass in my kids baskets, those plastic strings get everywhere and stick to everything so I finally said no more and the kids don't miss it at all :)

In lieu of plastic Easter grass I cut a piece of green astroturf to fit the bottom of each basket:


Love the look and it leaves more room in the basket for goodies!


Here's how to make the hardware cloth Easter baskets:

1. Cut hardware cloth scraps to size:

For the circle use one long skinny piece and leave prongs on one short end and one long side:


2. Secure ends together by twisting prongs:


3. Wrap top edge with jute string:


4. Cut 2 - 1/4" plywood pieces to fit base:


 5. Place one plywood piece in bottom and fold prongs over.
Hot glue prongs in place:


You could leave it like this but I choose to cover it with another piece of plywood hot glued and nailed in place (not shown):


6. For the handle find an apple basket:


And deconstruct CAREFULLY:


7. Add a short piece of thin wood on each side:


8. Make handle from thin apply basket wood and glue in place.
Add an additional piece on the underside for support and I added carpet tacks to finish:



I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

3 comments:

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a great idea! I like the astro turf instead of grass idea. :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

these are awesome!!!!! and you know how i love those toadstools in them. :)

Lauren said...

Wow. How unique. I love the industrial look. Great job. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html