Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"K" is for Kids Step Stool

Build: kids step stool

Build your own step stool using plans from Ana White's book The Handbuilt Home or similar plans here.

A fast build using scrap wood, painted soft pink and personalized on the top step:

The edges are distressed and smooth and the cutout detail on the sides gives just a bit of vintage charm:

This stool is very similar to the Pottery Barn Kids step stool except mine cost almost nothing to make!

Here's how to make the step stool:

1. Use the step stool plans from Ana's book The Handbuilt Home on page 92 or similar plans here and build the stool.

I used pocket holes throughout:

I even attached the steps from the underside with pocketholes:

2. Paint two coats Behr watermelon pink (1 part) + 2 parts white.
Print out name to fit step then trace letters with ballpoint pen to create slight indent: 

3. Paint on and inside indent with white enamel.
Seal stool two coats clear satin poly:

I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now


Jenny said...

Oh my goodness - it looks even better than the Pottery Barn stools - love it! And I love your trick on hand painting letters - brilliant!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This turned out so cute! I think I want to make this stool my new "baby gift" item.

senovia said...

I've bookmarked so many of your projects to make myself- both building and sewing (except appliqueing letters- I've tried that once and I couldn't manage it. lol) But then I realized I rarely comment and tell you how much I appreciate your blog and your projects. :) My kids are a little big for step stools, but I may have grandbabies someday... ;)

Lauree Hawes said...

Love this! I am pinning it for a "to do" later when the twins are older.

DaiseyJayne.com said...

Love this stool, I could use one myself, especially in the kitchen to reach that cabinet over the refrigerator :)

Inspire Me Heather said...

That stool is just super cute and yours does look waaayyy better than the PB ones!! Thanks for posting your how-to Jaime!

EveryDay Bloom said...

I truly am in love with this project...I could actually do it (I love power tools), and I need to! Our sinks are all a little bit high for my youngest, and for visiting littles. I love the pink you finished your step stool with. Beautiful! Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com