Sew: drop cloth armrest pincushion
A quick and easy gift made using drop cloth and blue gingham binding.
I borrowed Amy's pattern from During Quiet Time as inspiration for this very utilitarian gift.
I added the word 'sew' with a buttonhole stitch on one pocket:
Amy's pattern is perfect for any size armrest and sits comfortably in place ready and waiting for all those straight pins:
No more sticking pins into the furniture! Now you have the perfect little pincushion complete with two side pockets to hold your scissors because I know those tiny handsewing scissors ALWAYS get lost in the cracks!
Here's how to make the drop cloth armrest pincushion:
1. Using Amy's pattern as a guide I modified the pieces as follows:
back panel: 1 @ 20" x 7"
pocket exteriors: 2 @ 6" x 7"
pincushion: 1 @ 7 1/2" x 10"
binding: 1 1/2" bias cut strip @ 70"l
fabric letters (see how to in my post here)
2. Iron letters in place onto pocket exterior:
3. Sew around edge using buttonhole or zig zag stitch:
4. Add binding to top edge of pocket exteriors:
5. Sew short ends (7 1/2"l) of pincushion piece together to make a tube.
Turn right side out and place seam at center bottom.
6. Layout back panel and pin pocket exteriors in place.
Pin ONLY ONE side of pincushion tube in place:
7. Sew binding in place beginning near UNPINNED portion of pincushion, stop short of open end of pincushion.
Fill pincushion with stuffing and stitch opening closed:
8. Place pin cushion in position and finish sewing binding.
9. Clip sharp corners for a rounded edge.
To complete binding fold over raw edge twice and pin in place on backside just beyond seam:
Top stitch in ditch from front side.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework