Build: crown molding ledges
Build your own crown molding ledges from solid wood and mdf crown to fit your space.
This is my friend's youngest little boy's bedroom and she had a blank wall that was perfect for these shelves. The real reason she wanted the shelves: to provide a ledge for the baby video monitor:
Inspired by the Pottery Barn Kids classic shelving at $82 a piece:
My DIY version costs about $25 in supplies.
A fairly simple build if you don't mind a mitered bevel cut.
These shelves are 36" long each:
Here's how to build crown molding ledges:
1. Determine length of shelves.
For this tutorial I will use 36" long shelves.
Below are my original sketches (disregard the 30"l).
1 - 1x8 @ 36" (shelf top)
1 - 1x4 @ 30 1/2" (box front)
2 - 1x4 @ 3 1/2" (box sides)
1 - 1x4 @ 29" (box bottom)
1 - 2x3 @ 28 1/2" (wall cleat)
* Cut crown to fit beginning with front long edge first.
A great miter/bevel guide from Dewalt here.
3. Secure box sides to box front with pocket holes.
4. Center on underside of shelf piece and secure with pocket holes from interior:
5. Add box bottom with finish nails.
This creates a finished space for the wall cleat:
6. Cut crown molding to fit and secure with finish nails.
7. Prime and paint, two coats semi gloss white:
8. Find the studs and secure wall cleat level using 3" wood screws directly into studs:
9. Now take the shelf and slide the empty box portion directly onto the cleat:
10. Secure shelf using 2" wood screws countersunk into cleat:
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework