Sew: quilted drop cloth pouch
Drop cloth canvas is a fabric staple in my stash and I've made tons of drop cloth pouches but this time I changed the look by quilting the drop cloth:
The drop cloth is still rugged and timeless but the quilting adds a tiny bit of sophistication to what some might think is simply a painters tool:
This wasn't my first quilted pouch, previously I made this pink gingham version. It's hard to see the quilting except in the detail shot but trust me it's there:
The quilted pink gingham pouch was part of a new baby gift for my husband's cousin complete with personalized burp cloths:
This quilted drop cloth pouch was also a baby gift for a different cousin.
Here you can see the quilting detail:
Metal zippers are my new favorite, they are super sturdy and provide the tiniest bit of industrial feel. I love the bright orange against the drop cloth and navy monogram:
Here's how to sew the quilted drop cloth pouch:
1 - 13" x 17" drop cloth
1 - 13" x 17" med. weight fusible interfacing
1 - 13" x 17" batting
1 - 13" x 17" cotton piece
1 - 13" x 17" gingham lining
1 - 12" zipper
fabric letters (tutorial here)
1. Apply interfacing to one side of drop cloth:
2. Pin letters in place then zig zag stitch:
3. Make quilt sandwich: cotton, batting, drop cloth:
4. Using a quilting pencil mark lines at 45 degree angle:
5. Stitch over lines to make quilting:
6. Place zipper at one end face down then lining.
Using a zipper foot sew one side of zipper in place.
7. Top stitch lining in place to prevent from getting stuck in zipper:
8. Repeat for other side of zipper.
9. Line up side seams and sew leaving a 4" opening on one side of lining:
10. Miter the corners:
11. Clip excess fabric at corners and turn right side out through hole in lining.
Slip stitch lining closed and push down into pouch.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework