Monday, July 29, 2013

"W" is for Wall Hutch

Build: 3 drawer wall hutch


Ana White has come through again!  Plans for a lovely 3 drawer wall hutch that fits perfectly above the schoolhouse desks or any desk for that matter.




Ana drew up the plans and I built two units for about $80 each.  


Each unit has 3 generous sized drawers that don't require drawer slides! (or hardware if you choose):



I trimmed out the top in basic crown molding for a finished look.


And added corkboard in between the hutches for hanging artwork:


The drawer pull hole was made using a 1 1/2" spade bit and the backing is wide beadboard (or wainscot paneling).


 There is a bit of a funky spot on the far left side that I should explain.  I choose to keep the built in media component cabinet, which we are not using currently, because it's a nice little feature of our home and I think in the future it might be useful.  In addition there's a return vent which I had to work around so keeping the hutch flush with the media cabinet allowed for enough vent space.


This is how the wall started when we moved in:


And now:

Thank you to Ana for making the schoolhouse desk and hutch plans which transformed a completely unused space into something totally functional and organized.  

A true haven for my kids who now have their own workspace.


Here's how to build the wall hutch:

1. Follow Ana's plans for cuts and construction.


2. Prime and paint one coat high gloss white enamel.

3. I choose to install a 1x2 cleat at the base in addition to screwing through the top 1x2 on the hutch.
Use 3" screws directly into the studs:


4. Hang the shelves:


5. Install crown molding and paint the final coat.


I'm linking up to:
TDC Before and After
Before & After Party @ The DIY Village
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Showoff @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

18 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

you are so crazy talented. that's all. :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Jaime just when I thought this space couldn't possibly be any better ...you did! This is incredible. Your talents are endless.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is SO cool, Jaime! Love the bulletin boards you squeezed into the space as well.

Our Delightful Home said...

WOW, this is such a clever idea.

DaiseyJayne.com said...

I want to move in to your house! That work space is beautiful and you did a gorgeous job. Wow!

Katy said...

I love it!! great job! :)

the cape on the corner said...

simply put, this just rocks!

Leslie said...

Love it! Amazing job!

Leslie said...

Love it! Amazing job!

Betsy Brock said...

What a super DIY! Love it!

Ruth Soukup said...

Jamie, they look great! You did a fabulous job on these! I need a couple of these for my house!

I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

Kayla Janachovsky said...

Amazing! I need to DIY this!! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

Kate Kolbeck said...

I LOVE this!!! When I build my new house I am going to make sure that this is included! I love everything about it!!

I found you at Nifty Thrify Sundays and I am so glad I did!! Now following you via Bloglovin and Google!!

Kate @ Uniquely Undone
uniquelyundone.blogspot.com

Crafty Allie said...

Love your blog. I just followed you and hoping you'll follow back :)
http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

Danielle Huddleston said...

Those look great!

nicmowat said...

this is exactly what i'm looking for.... now if only i can find someone to build it.

Lindsey Powers said...

This space is wonderful! So clean, bright and organized! Could you share the color of the yellow chairs, please? :)

Anna said...

It's beautiful AND functional! I'd love to know - where did you purchased the chairs from? Thanks!