Monday, October 14, 2013

"R" is for Railing Makeover

Paint: railing makeover


The final installment of the family room makeover: the railing.

 The railing is complete and I can officially say I conquered all the red paint in the family room:




There was red paint everywhere: walls, trim, railings, handrail, vents and stair risers.


I just love the look of white semi-gloss paint against the dark stain, it's classy, updated and fresh:




How to refinish a painted railing:

1. Start by prepping your workspace, use painters tape and drop cloths.
Apply a thick layer of Citristrip stripper gel safe for indoors:


Wait. Let the stripper do the work.

2. Using a metal or plastic scraper remove the loose paint:


This is my pile of paint from one corner post:


3. Once you've scraped off as much paint as possible begin sanding the last fine layer with an orbital sander.
In my case I was looking to remove ALL of the red paint on the newels and railings because I didn't want red seeping through the new stain.

4.  Prime and paint balusters semi-gloss white:


5. Stain newels and railings Minwax Jacobean:


6. Seal with 2 coats Minwax semi-gloss poly, sanding in between coats.


I'm linking up to:

SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

14 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I can not IMAGINE how much work it was to strip and sand those posts inside! You're amazing. The new looks is amazing!

Frankie said...

What a ton of work! So worth it in the end though -- your railing is beautiful now.

Jenny said...

Wow! What a great result after all of the elbow grease that I'm sure went into it! I love the contrast of the stain and the crisp white paint - such a classic and timeless look. Oh how far that space has come - well done!!

Mindy said...

Wow, you have done so much work. How gratifying it must be, though. Now that it's done!!! :)
It's absolutely beautiful.

Mindi Carwin said...

Simply Amazing!! I love it, and props to you for all that work!

DaiseyJayne.com said...

Lots of work but so well worth it!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

It turned out so amazing! What a transformation after all that painstaking work.

Tara Corley said...

Wow! Looks great! I imagine that was a lot of work!

Danielle Bartran said...

BEAUTIFUL! What a difference!!

Abby said...

This looks so great! Ugh! I can't imagine stripping all that paint off, all your work sure paid off! Very very pretty!

TheKimSix Fix said...

Wow! That is amazing. I don't know what anyone was thinking painting that place red.. but your work is definitely paying off.

It is gorgeous now!

Katy said...

oh yeah that looks like it was a huge job, it looks so great now. I was trying to catch up on your new house adventures but I am falling behind! :/

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

This is gorgeous! I am featuring you tomorrow!

Leeanne Dyson said...

I love your new railing! I love your color choices! I also love the renovation projects that you've been posting. Are you done with all your projects? I'm sure you have a fabulous home. Any updates? :)

Leeanne Dyson @ MasterMyList