Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"R" is for Ribbon Organizer

Build: easy ribbon organizer


There are tons of different ribbon organizer systems out there.
I made this version using scrap 2x4 wood pieces and a round dowel:

I'm finally making headway in the basement unpacking my craft, sewing and shop supplies (hence the reason all these pictures were taken in the basement with overhead lighting :)).

I came across my ribbon stash and decided to tackle the situation.

I had two simple criteria for this ribbon organizer:

1. Easy on - easy off.  I want the ability to easily remove the entire ribbon spool from the holder.

and

2. Visibility.  I like to see my stock.


 

Each ribbon 'tower' is about 15" tall which holds at least a dozen spools.  
The tower is super sturdy with a 2x4 base and the ribbon spools easily slide on and off the dowel as needed.

I started with a drawer full of ribbon spools and now have a beautiful organized shelf full of ribbon neatly stored by color:


The ribbon organizers make for great eye candy and sure dress up my stone basement workspace:


Consider your storage space before you make the ribbon organizers.
I had the perfect shelf to house the ribbon towers and I made the dowel height to fit the shelves:


How to build an easy ribbon organizer:

1. Cut scrap 2x4 into 3 1/2" lengths and purchase 5/16" round dowels:


2. Using a 5/16" drill bit mark the depth of the bit with painters tape so as not to go all the way through the 2x4 base.
Drill a hole for the dowel at least 1" deep:


3. Cut the dowels to desired height (mine are about 14").

4. Squeeze a generous drop of wood glue down into the pre-drilled hole:


5. Place dowel into hole and secure by tapping the top end with a hammer:


Let dry and full with ribbon spools!

I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk

Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

4 comments:

Michele Alger said...

This is the best idea I've seen yet for ribbon! Nice job. Love it!!

Cathy said...

I have tons of ribbon and this is a great idea for storing the spools of ribbon. I store my bits on pieces on clothespins in jars where I can see what I have. Found you at Chic on a Shoestring. Cathy

Vicki Hodge said...

Really great idea - what a lot of lovely ribbon too!!!! This is my blog - http://www.origamigirl.co.uk/#/blog/4579209219

Mariela Conci de Gil said...

Hermosa, idea!! Comparto el enlace en mi blog!! PERMISO!!