Build: diy kitchen banquette
A kitchen banquette built for a friend of a friend.
(There will be pillows and maybe an upholstered cushion eventually, I took this picture when the paint was still wet.)
Instead the homeowner wanted built in banquette seating to reduce the cluttered feel and open the pathway between the table and the island.
Complete with two deep drawers on either end of the benches:
To make the recessed panels I used 1x3 pine boards and cove moulding:
The homeowner requested a curve in the bench top at the corner, this will ease any pinched legs!
How to build a kitchen banquette:
1. Build the frame with 2x4 studs:
I used my Kreg jig to assemble the framing:
2. Attach 3/4 plywood to the front visible pieces then finish with 1x3 pine boards and cove molding:
3. The drawer fronts mimic the bench front panels:
4. Cut the bench top pieces:
(Prime and paint BM white dove.)
5. Before installation I added 3/4" plywood pieces to the wall side keeping a 6" gap from the floor to accommodate for the existing base moulding:
6. Mark the bench positions and cut out a 3/4" section of moulding to allow the bench to sit flush against the wall:
** Before installation mark wall studs.**
7. Position benches, check for level and secure to studs using 2 1/2" wood screws in multiple spots:
8. See below the bench is flush to the wall and attached with screws through the back piece of 3/4" plywood into the wall studs:
9. Secure bench tops.
Cut beadboard, secure to wall with construction adhesive and finish nails into studs.
Add trim moulding at top, sides and seam:
10. Finish with two coats of Benjamin Moore white dove satin enamel.
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework