Friday, January 17, 2014

"P" is for Pencil Holder

diy pencil holder from scrap wood

Build this single pencil holder for less than .50 cents each - including the pencil - and you have a great candy free Valentine.

diy pencil holder valentines

I have 3 kids which means 3 sets of Valentines, in all I made 75 pencil holders.
You could use any standard size pencils but I choose these red golf pencils.

diy single pencil holder with red golf pencils

They are super simple to make but best of all they are useful and not full of sugar.

Supplies cost breakdown:

One 1 x 3 x 8' pine board costs $5 and will yield 36 base pieces. ($.14 each)
One 2 x 2 x 8' pine furring stick costs $1.50 and will yield 47 pieces. ($.03 each)
One 1 1/4" screw costs $.05.
Wood glue

Total: $.39

And you could even use 1 x 3 x 8' pine furring to bring down the cost even lower.

Wrap up in a small cellophane bag with a tag and you're ready to give:

diy pencil holder valentines wrapped in cellophane

How to build a single pencil holder:

1. Supplies (for one pencil holder):
1 - 1x3 @ 2.5" pine board
1 - 2x2 @ 2" pine furring
1 - 1 1/4" wood screw

Gather all your scraps:

2. Make cuts.  To make multiple cuts set a wood block or tape to the 2" length and slice away:

3. Predrill countersunk hole in center of 1x3 base:
(I also predrilled a hole in the center of the 2x2.)

4. Glue and attach 2x2 piece at center from underside using 1 1/4" wood screw:

5. Using a 5/16" drill bit (drill bit must match or be a tiny bit wider than pencil diameter) make a hole in the center of the 2x2:

Mark the drill bit with tape at 1 1/2" deep to keep holes consistent:

Sand well and insert pencil.

Happy Valentine's Day!

For more candy free valentines ideas click here:

diy candy free valentines


Inspire Me Heather said...

Cute pencil holders and I really like the "no candy" idea too!!

Heather said...

This is brilliant, Jaime!

Marje said...

Just what I need beside my bed for notes and crossword puzzles. My pens & pencils seem to migrate to the bedside table and I have to clear out half a dozen at a time.
If I know I have one in a holder all the time, maybe the rest of the writing implements will stay out of the bedroom and I won't be searching for them in the bedroom when I want to write a list or note.
Great idea for grownup's valentines! Thanks for this.