Build this single pencil holder for less than .50 cents each - including the pencil - and you have a great candy free Valentine.
I have 3 kids which means 3 sets of Valentines, in all I made 75 pencil holders.You could use any standard size pencils but I choose these red golf pencils.
They are super simple to make but best of all they are useful and not full of sugar.
Supplies cost breakdown:
One 1 x 3 x 8' pine board costs $5 and will yield 36 base pieces. ($.14 each)
One 2 x 2 x 8' pine furring stick costs $1.50 and will yield 47 pieces. ($.03 each)
One 1 1/4" screw costs $.05.
And you could even use 1 x 3 x 8' pine furring to bring down the cost even lower.
Wrap up in a small cellophane bag with a tag and you're ready to give:
1. Supplies (for one pencil holder):
1 - 1x3 @ 2.5" pine board
1 - 2x2 @ 2" pine furring
1 - 1 1/4" wood screw
Gather all your scraps:
2. Make cuts. To make multiple cuts set a wood block or tape to the 2" length and slice away:
3. Predrill countersunk hole in center of 1x3 base:
(I also predrilled a hole in the center of the 2x2.)
4. Glue and attach 2x2 piece at center from underside using 1 1/4" wood screw:
5. Using a 5/16" drill bit (drill bit must match or be a tiny bit wider than pencil diameter) make a hole in the center of the 2x2:
Mark the drill bit with tape at 1 1/2" deep to keep holes consistent:
Sand well and insert pencil.
Happy Valentine's Day!
For more candy free valentines ideas click here: