Build: diy wood planked quilt wall art
Make this wall decor using pine boards, glue and various stains.
It makes a great statement and combines two of my favorites: wood and sewing!
Inspired by Pottery Barn's planked quilt square:
Their version will set you back $349 plus shipping.
I made this diy version for $60.
Even better I was able to tailor the stain colors to my liking.
(The walls are painted Benjamin Moore sea pearl.)
The finished size of my version is 43.5" square.
We've come a long way in the family room in the past 6 months:
How to build a wood planked quilt:
6 - 1 x 4 x 8 pine boards
2 - 1 x 2 x 8 pine boards
1/2" plywood panel 4' x 4'
2. Make your cuts using the measurements below.
Cut one of each size and then use that piece as your guide to make the remaining cuts.
3.5" square x 4
45 degree mitered cuts:
7" at long end x 8
10.5" at long end x 8
4" at long end x 8
7.5" at long end x 8
11" at long end x 8
14.75" long to short x 16
3. Layout one corner square to determine final size.
Trim 1/2" plywood back piece to fit entire quilt.
Mine measured 20 3/4" so I cut my plywood at 41.5" x 41.5"
4. Stain all the pieces in multiple colors.
I stacked the pieces in 4 groups (one for each square) then flipped 2 stacks over to be sure I would be staining the correct side.
5. Begin placing the pieces on the plywood:
6. Mark the center point of the board to give you a guideline:
7. Once you are satisfied with the layout start gluing the pieces to the board.
Any wood glue will work.
8. Weigh down the pieces to dry:
9. Before adding the trim frame check to be sure no boards are hanging long off the edge:
10. Mark the long board with tape which gives you a cut line and protects the finish from and scratching by the jigsaw:
11. Cut off the excess edge with a jig saw:
12. Cut 1 x 2 boards to frame out edge. Glue and nail in place.
13. Secure cleat to backside of plywood:
14. Attach wall portion of cleat:
Hang and enjoy!
I'm linking up to:
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework