Monday, January 13, 2014

"W" is for Wood Planked Quilt

Build: diy wood planked quilt wall art


Make this wall decor using pine boards, glue and various stains.
It makes a great statement and combines two of my favorites: wood and sewing!





Their version will set you back $349 plus shipping.
I made this diy version for $60.


Even better I was able to tailor the stain colors to my liking.
(The walls are painted Benjamin Moore sea pearl.)
The finished size of my version is 43.5" square.



 We've come a long way in the family room in the past 6 months:

How to build a wood planked quilt:

1. Lumber:

 6 - 1 x 4 x 8 pine boards
2 - 1 x 2 x 8 pine boards
1/2" plywood panel 4' x 4'

2. Make your cuts using the measurements below.
Cut one of each size and then use that piece as your guide to make the remaining cuts.


3.5" square x 4
45 degree mitered cuts:
7" at long end x 8
10.5" at long end x 8
4" at long end x 8
7.5" at long end x 8
11" at long end x 8
14.75" long to short x 16

3. Layout one corner square to determine final size.
Trim 1/2" plywood back piece to fit entire quilt.
Mine measured 20 3/4" so I cut my plywood at 41.5" x 41.5"

4. Stain all the pieces in multiple colors.
I stacked the pieces in 4 groups (one for each square) then flipped 2 stacks over to be sure I would be staining the correct side.



5. Begin placing the pieces on the plywood:


6. Mark the center point of the board to give you a guideline:


7.  Once you are satisfied with the layout start gluing the pieces to the board.
Any wood glue will work.

8. Weigh down the pieces to dry:

9.  Before adding the trim frame check to be sure no boards are hanging long off the edge:


10. Mark the long board with tape which gives you a cut line and protects the finish from and scratching by the jigsaw:


11. Cut off the excess edge with a jig saw:


12. Cut 1 x 2 boards to frame out edge.  Glue and nail in place.

13. Secure cleat to backside of plywood:

14. Attach wall portion of cleat:

Hang and enjoy!

I'm linking up to:
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

29 comments:

Jenny said...

AWESOME! What a great impact this piece makes, and I love that you can customize it to your own tastes and style. It would be amazing with color too - for a bedroom even. Well done!

Angela Santaniello said...

That is ridiculously amazing! I cannot believe you made it. Awesome job!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

this is totally amazing!

anastasia anezinis said...

Great job!!!Amazing!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love it! Beautiful work.

Melissa@thecre8tiveoutlet said...

You are SO talented. I've follow your blog and am always amazed to see what you do next!

Miss Charming said...

Gorgeous! (I like your version much better than the inspiration piece.)

Krista thehappyhousie said...

This is absolutely amazing- and it looks so great on your white paneled walls. The whole thing looks so pottery barn and pretty. Great knockoff!!
~Krista from the happy housie

TheKimSix Fix said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! And your tutorial is great. You have come such a long way, and it all looks fantastic.

Marie Ledbetter said...

Wow, that looks great! I need to make me one.
Marie @ Fort Ledbetter

Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs said...

LOVE this! Just perfect from the design to the color to the decor : )

Karen said...

Your color choices are several hundred times better than Pottery Barn's dark, muddy concoction. Love it!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This. Looks. Awesome. I'm seriously pinning the snot out of this one. One of my next projects is a barn quilt square for our barn, and now I want to recreate this square. I've been scouring quilt books and I just want to make them all.

Joan Burd said...

I love this! More so I WANT this!!! Thanks for posting the plans!

Pieced Pastimes said...

Ooh, I love this idea. I am a quilter, so I can appreciate this even more. It looks beautiful against your white wall.
Thanks for the inspiration,
Suzanne
Pieced Pastimes
PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks. Links are open till Friday.

One English Teacher said...

This is so beautiful; I am definitely pinning this, so I don't forget about it.

Kris @ Driven by D├ęcor said...

Love this! Have pinned it and hope to try it myself at some point!

sarah said...

So awesome! I saw this in the new Pottery Barn catalog last month and actually clipped it out for my next summer project. You beat me to it, but now I can steal the dimensions. Thanks for making the job so much easier! :)

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I literally emailed the PB pic to my dad last week telling him I wanted him to make it for me. Now he has the directions! Thanks! :)

Marti said...

I love it, and so easy too. Thank you for sharing your technique. I'd like to try something like it one day.

The DIY Homegirl said...

Stunning piece of work! I love the natural and rustic edge it gives to your space.

Andrea Fogleman said...

Your quilt is truly outstanding! Thanks for sharing a tutorial too. Awesome!

Ricki M said...

I'm seriously in love with this wood quilt. Wow, it's stunning. I've been quilting for over 15 years now, and in the last couple of years, I've developed a thing for working with wood. This to me is a stunning example of 2 things that I love.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Ricki M said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I am so completely 100% in love with your Wood Quilt that I am featuring it on The Sunday Faviourates. Please feel free to stop by and grad a button at http://thequestionablehomesteader.com/sunday-faviourates-8/

Meg Sluyter said...

Hi Jaime! Saw this at That DIY Party and it is absolutely AMAZING! What a beautiful piece of art and for the impact it makes, the price is great too! Thanks for sharing :)

Yana said...

Wow, you worked so carefully, it fits together perfect! I don´t think I could do that - but I will bow down to your superior skill!

Heidi Kay @ Muslin and Merlot said...

Holy cow. That is amazing!

Jennifer said...

This is absolutely wonderful! I love it!

Kris Drexler said...

LOVE this!!!!! Can you tell me what stain colors you used?