Friday, March 21, 2014

"T" is for Tic Tac Toe Party Favors

Looking for an easy to make party favor?

Portable tic tac toe game made with wood scraps.


How to make tic tac toe party favors:

1. Use a 1x4 scrap cut at 3 1/2" long.

Draw the grid using the dimensions below, dimensions are the same both vertical and horizontal.
Use a 3/4" spade bit and make a hole at the center of each box:

2. Mark the spade bit with tape as a stopper to prevent you from drilling all the way through the wood:

3. Cut 10 - 3/4" dowel pieces at 2 1/2" long:

Spray paint 5 pieces one color and 5 pieces another color.

4. To make the storage bag cut a piece of drop cloth 8"w x 18"l.  Print out the lettering (I used American Typewriter font).  Fold drop cloth in half and determine where you want lettering, mark with pins:

5. Pin the print out behind the drop cloth and line up to your pins.
Place everything on top of a lightbox:

6. Using black acrylic craft paint and a small brush paint the lettering:

7. Fold drop cloth in half right sides together and sew sides seams closed (I also zig zag stitched the raw edges to prevent fraying.):

8. Turn down raw edge of opening 1/2" and press:

9. Turn down opening generous 1/2" again and press:

10. Sew turned down edge scant 1/2" from finished opening:

11.  Use a seam ripper to make hole for string:

12. Zig zag stitch tightly at top and bottom of cord opening.
Attach safety pin to end of cording:

13. Thread cording around and back out same opening.
Tie ends together and knot, melt cut ends of cording.

I'm linking up to:

The 36th Avenue

Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming


Our Pinteresting Family said...

I love this idea! :)

Brooke said...

What a darling idea! All the details are perfect. I love the games, and the bag is so, so cute. Thanks so much for sharing! Enjoy your day!

Ruth said...

Thank you for the great post! For my drawstring bags, I used muslin (as it was something I had on hand already). I cut my bags to be 8 1/2" X 16". That way I could scotch tape the cut fabric (along the top and side edges) to a piece of cardstock & feed it through my inkjet printer, for the words to print directly onto the cloth. I also didn't have enough various paints for the 6 sets we were making, so I just used 10-14 drops of food coloring in 1 TBS of rubbing alcohol to paint my wood with a sponge brush (rinsing in-between color changes). In a short amount of time, I was able to paint them several coats to the desired color, as the alcohol evaporates quickly. Then I placed everything on top of several layers of newspaper with a paper towel on top to dry/set the paint all night. The finished product had a translucent watercolors. They looked great! Then I sprayed clear coat on them to set them in case they came in contact with moisture later and I didn't want the food coloring to rub off on anything.

Timi Po said...

This is simply adorable and I will definitely do this with the kids.