Friday, July 18, 2014

"P" is for Pencil Shaped Pencil Holder

DIY pencil shaped pencil holder teacher gift

Make this super simple giant wood pencil shaped pencil holder for all those teachers this Fall.
One 1x4x6 board for $5 will yield 2 pencil holders plus a $2 pack of pencils and you have an inexpensive and extremely useful gift.

I spaced the holes about 1" apart which gives me 25 holes.

I handpainted the personalization using this technique with American Typewriter font.

I love how the wood grain actually looks like a real pencil.

How to make a pencil shaped pencil holder:

Step 1: Glue and clamp together 3 - 1x4 boards at 12" long.

Step 2: Make 2 - 30 degree miter cuts on one end.  Sand well.

Step 3: Use a ruler and layout pencil holes.

Step 4: Using a 5/16" drill bit mark depth of holes with tape then make holes.

Step 5: Sand well.

Step 6: Paint to mimic a pencil.
Add the personalization using this technique with American Typewriter font.

Step 7: Seal using clear gloss spray poly.

I'm linking up to:

Sand and Sisal

The 36th Avenue

Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane
Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming


Danielle Wagasky said...

This is so creative! I would love to have you link it up to my Feature Friday Link Palooza!

Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic

Janet Cornwall said...

Question... How deep do you drill the holes for the pencils ? I am going to make two of these for my kids to take to their teachers. They are SO CUTE!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

truthbtold said...

Look I just aint got the time ! Cant I just buy this one ????? LOL