Monday, July 7, 2014

"R" is for Rustic Bench

Build: diy rustic bench


Easiest bench you can build ever and it only takes 3 boards!  I'll be at Haven on Friday with my fellow blogger Jen from House of Wood teaching you how to build this multi-purpose bench.

Haven Conference

A mini version just for fun.


Jen and I teamed up with Ana White to make this diy bench.  Ana's got the plans for you here and I'll show you how I built the bench down below.


Loving the chippy rustic finish.


This bench was inspired by Pottery Barn's Warner bench:


This retail version sells for $299 plus shipping - yikes for such a simple piece!

You can build your own bench for about $35.



I choose to bevel my legs similar to the retail version, this 10 degree bevel may be a bit extreme so if you're going to do this build I'd go for 5 degrees.


Jen at House of Wood built this bench too, and not only that she built two versions!


Check out her stained version with a 5 degree bevel on the legs, such a beauty.


And get a good look at the finish on this bench - an Indian inlay stencil - so subtle but a great way to personalize.

How to build a rustic bench:

Step 1: Use Ana's plans here and make your cuts.
(I used a 1x10 for the seat and legs and 2 - 1x8s for the sides.)


 I choose to bevel the legs at 10 degrees.  When cutting the legs set your circular saw at 10 degrees:


Step 2: Cut out notches in legs:


Step 3:  Attach one side to top then legs:


Step 4: Attach second side to top, because I used a 1x10 board for the top it doesn't give you enough space to fit the drill inside for pocket holes therefore I had to countersink screws on the extrerior:



Step 5: Finish as you like.
I choose the Vaseline method followed by Benjamin Moore Going to the Chapel, Minwax early american stain and 3 coats cleat satin poly.


And for good measure I had my kids jump on it.


I'm linking up to:

Sand and Sisal

The 36th Avenue

Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane
Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

3 comments:

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Looks beautiful. Have fun at Haven. I hope to go next year. :)

Linda7 said...

Jamie, love the bench AND the finish. Thanks for sharing. Just a bit of FYI...have you ever used a flexible screw driver attachment for hard-to-reach pocket hole joints? I have used mine a lot to reach otherwise unaccessible pocket holes. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/12-Inch-Long-Flex-Bit/dp/B00004Z063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404846960&sr=8-1&keywords=flexible+screwdriver+extension

I enjoy your blog and follow you on Facebook.

IdaJohn said...

I love your finish! Did you use vaseline on the bare wood, or did you stain it first?