Monday, October 6, 2014

"S" is for Sliding Door Console

sliding barn door console free plans

This DIY sliding barn door console was my knock off project submission for week one of Creating with the Stars last Spring and it took first place!
I'm finally getting around to sharing how I built the console so you can build it too AND for a fraction of the retail cost.

UPDATE 1/24/16: This post contains detailed information on the sliding barn door console HARDWARE with links to proper plans you can download and print.

diy sliding barn door console
My build was inspired by Sundance Catalog's Yorkville Sliding Door Console:

The retail version above sells for $2800 plus $400 shipping - yikes!  I'll show you how to make your own DIY version for $300.

diy sliding barn door hardware

The barn door hardware is fairly simple pieces you can find at any big home improvement store - aluminum bars with 1 1/2" pulley wheels.

diy sliding barn door console

Ana White recently shared my interior cedar shutter plans over at her place and the console is in those pictures which got a lot of readers interested so I thought it was time to post the plans.

diy interior cedar shutters

diy sliding barn door console interior cedar shutters

The complete step by step building plans are here.  Below are details on the hardware used to create the sliding barn door console:

Door hardware:

1 - 1" flat aluminum bar x 1/4" thick x 96"l (hanging track bar & vertical door bars)
3 - #12 x 2 1/2" metal screws
4 - #12 x 1 1/2" metal screws
8 - #12 x 3/4" metal screws

Cut list:

1 - L shape aluminum bar @ 60"l (base track)
1 - flat aluminum bar @ 62"l (hanging track bar)
4 - flat aluminum bar @ 8 1/2"l (vertical door bars)

diy sliding barn door hardware

1. Cut the bar pieces as listed above.
This will not be fun.
Be sure to smooth any sharp edges.

diy sliding barn door hardware

I used a combination of a coping saw, dremel drill, metal rasp and steel wood.

diy sliding barn door hardware

2. You need to remove the pulley wheel from inside the pulley mechanism:

diy sliding barn door hardware

Again this will not be fun.  I used my dremel to slice off the center 'button' on both sides of pulley then  clamped it down and hammered away at the center pin using an old drill bit:

diy sliding barn door hardware

Tip: the pin will come out faster if the metal is cold (put the pulley in the freezer).

3. Spray paint all the metal pieces (I choose not to paint the screws & washers) using oil rubbed bronze:

diy sliding barn door hardware

4. Attach the base track first.  Center track and set the door in the track to be sure you have enough sliding space.  
Predrill and use 2" wood screws down into base moulding:

diy sliding barn door hardware

5. Attach the hanging track 1.75" from top.
Mark the face frame and predrill holes all the way through the frame:

diy sliding barn door hardware

Set up the hardware in the order below:

diy sliding barn door hardware

Then secure the track to the face frame:

diy sliding barn door hardware

6. Secure pulley wheel to door hardware.
Set up the hardware as listed below:
(The 1 1/2" screw could be shorter if desired.)

diy sliding barn door hardware

Place door in base track then lift 1/4" or add a spacer, you need bottom clearance for the door to glide.
Now place wheel (attached to flat bar) in track and see where everything lines up.
Use dimensions below as a guide:

diy sliding barn door hardware

Predrill holes in door front for remaining 2 washers and 3/4" screws then attach.

8. Repeat process for other side, be sure door is level.

9. Hang doors onto track.
The hex nut will allow you to adjust the tightness of the rolling wheel and enable you get past the middle screw head on the hanging track.


Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I SO love this piece!!

Anat said...

Awesome piece! Thank you.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is one of my very favorite projects of yours. (And that's saying something because I loe everything you create.)

Pinning away!

Chris Hemsworth said...

I really love your post. Must say that you are very innovative.
For me making sliding doors was something next to impossible, but yes you made it easier with your post.

Nes U said...

Awesome! Finally found a piece I want to build - been searching for months. What are the overal dimensions of the finished piece?

amanda pineda said...

Hi! great tutorial! I am getting ready to build a barn door media console and was wondering what did you use to cut the aluminum bars for the doors? I'm just wondering if I need to buy a special tool/blade:) thanks!

Factory Direct Hardware said...

Great looking project. Love the way out came out. I would love to re-post this on our blog.

Door Hardware

Steven Swisher said...

So I was going through your plans as I do before everyone one of the furniture builds and your step by step for constructing the hardware is amazing. I thank you for that. Unfortunately your step by step for constructing the actual console isn't all there. It seems some steps were skipped while other steps just didn't add up. I did the math on most of your measurements provided and the cuts are usually off by 1/8 of an inch. No big deal as that's easily adjusted but there were too many steps skipped for me to take on this console.

What I'm going to end up doing is building another console from someone else's plan and applying your hardware instructions for the doors which is a blessing and I thank you for that. Unless you can provide some better measurements or instructions. All together thank you though.

Courtney said...

I came to your page about a hundred times to follow your directions! Thank you!!! Here is my marble-topped sideboard:

Luke Bohanan said...

Quick question to anyone. I'm new at wood working and created this console from the plans above. Everything went well except for the sliding doors. When I glued the doors they looked perfect, I left for work for 2 days and came back, and they were both bowed the same direction. I had cut 6 pieces of 1x6 and glued them on to 1/4 inch Ply for the sliding door....what happened?
Thanks for any help

Courtney said...

Luke, I did a lot of internet research on this furniture plan before I built it, and I saw a hobby furniture builder who builds these to sell, and she puts a metal bracket on the side of the doors to prevent the bowing. I know my answer doesn't help much, but I want to let you know that someone else had the same problem.

Tuffy said...

@Luke it also depends on how you lay them up. With wood you want to alternate the grain curves, and then I'd probably glue + pocket hole them together and clamp. I'd let it dry and cure indoors, as well.

What Courtney said would help, too. You can buy some thin metal (1/8" and screw into the doors from the backside. It should give you enough clearance from the frame but would double check. Can put a few holes thru them, paint and screw in. They wont ever be visible but would give some strength to them (I'd put two, about 3" from top and bottom running perpendicular to the joint)

I havent built this but am doing research

For what its worth, mcmaster has some pretty cheap metal you can buy.. Thats where I'm ordering all my bar stock from.

JackRiston said...

Two questions:

Lovely cabinet. Can't wait to build mine.

1. What is the "stop" that keeps the door from sliding right off the track?

2. I'm making a custom width cabinet (66"). How do I size my track, considering the frame width for each cabinet opening, door width, etc? I would deduce it from your plans, but I didn't see anyplace where your track length was mentioned.



JackRiston said...

Never mind, Jamie. Finally found all the info I needed in your very thorough description.