Monday, November 17, 2014

"D" is for Deck The Halls DIY Style

Deck The Halls DIY Style


Sharing my diy decorated tree today complete with ornaments you can make yourself including a fast and easy tree stand cedar wood cover.


Of course I started with the tree and this one is a beauty.  Tree Classics sent me this lovely 7 foot pre-lit slim Christmas tree and I am smitten!  It arrives in 3 pieces, I set it up in minutes, plugged it in and magic.  But the best part here is the size - it's perfectly slender and fits this corner with room to spare (and plenty of space for gifts underneath!).  


While the tree stand is functional and unobtrusive I wanted a DIY finishing touch and built this tree stand box cover from cedar boards.  The box is actually upside-down from what I originally planned because I failed to measure properly but now I'm liking how the inward taper makes the tree look taller - bonus!  

Here's how to build the tree stand cover:


To construct the tree stand box cover measure the metal stand and BE SURE the interior space between your 2x2 boards matches up.  Cut the 2x2 corner posts at 5 degree bevel and miter (you could build this box without the corner posts and just attach the cedar boards to each other).  The length of the 2x2 posts should equal the width of 3 - 1x4 cedar boards.  Cut the 1x4 cedar boards to your desired length with a 5 degree miter on both ends not parallel.  Use finish nails and glue to make 2 sides like above then cut the other side boards and nail everything together.


On to the ornaments - but first how real do those branches and needles look?  And each branch is covered in white twinkle lights.  Okay the ornaments, made from drop cloth scraps these mini stockings are super quick to sew up.


I added different red fabric scraps along the top edge.


Step 1: Trace pattern (source here) onto drop cloth scrap.
Step 2: Pin back piece of drop cloth behind front piece.
Step 3: Sew along traced line then trim excess leaving a 1/8" seam allowance.
Step 4: Turn right side out.  Cut 2" x 8" cuff piece.
Step 5: Sew cuff right sides together at top edge all around then sew open ends together.  Trim excess.  Flip cuff right side up then fold partially down into stocking, top stitch around edge and add jute rope hanger.



The fabric mini stocking adds a soft texture against the branches.


Taking a step back not only is the tree diy but all of the components in this picture are also diy,  if you're curious below are the links to those projects:


Perhaps the easiest of ornaments to make is this pinecone with a burlap hanger and ribbon bow.  Just hot glue the burlap at top and then add the bow.


Save your wood scraps folks to make these mini house ornaments.



Bonus decorating tip: placing your tree in front of a mirror doubles the effect!  And one of my favorite parts about this tree - the branches have bendable wire inside so you can position every branch exactly as you want it and hang those heavy ornaments by bending the branch upwards.



I'll be sharing the full tutorial soon on these easy paper bag ornaments made from grocery and gift bags.  Start collecting all those holiday printed bags, they have great fonts and lettering.  Best sources: Trader Joes and Whole Foods and I'm secretly hoping Chipotle comes out with a Christmas version!


I must admit I was on the fence about faux trees before this Tree Classics Oregonian slim Christmas Tree arrived but I have since changed my mind.  I'm in love and I can't say enough good things about this faux tree.


I can guarantee our living room will welcome this faux tree for years to come, it's a great new addition and feels as if it was made for this spot with it's slim profile and warm glow.


Disclaimer: I was provided the faux tree from Tree Classics featured in this post however all opinions and thoughts are my own.

I'm linking up to:


Christmas Tree Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Christmas Spectacular @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Sand and Sisal
The 36th Avenue
Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane

Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk

That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

4 comments:

Mindy said...

All your ornaments are so cute. And I would loooove to have a slim tree!

Kate said...

I love everything about this!!!! You have such wonderful and creative ideas and I thank you for sharing them. The slim Christmas trees are just a great idea. ^^

Cristina Garay said...

Jaime, I see you've also been very busy Christmas crafting and decorating, I love the house and stocking ornaments! Common, the whole tree is adorable, I need one of those slim trees, they fit anywhere!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Those house ornaments are still one of my favorites. And that tree stand box? Awesome!