Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"E" is for Extra Long Sideboard

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

I'm so excited to share this beast of a build with you today!  And no build would be complete without plans from my friend Ana White.  Buildy friends this is one really long sideboard with TONS of storage:

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

I asked Ana to help me with a sideboard build and sent her multiple ideas which she mashed into this beauty.  Truly unique and one of a kind, it's the perfect combination of drawers and doors.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

The best part is the height and the depth.  It's just over 40" high (close to bar height) and only 17 1/2" deep so it doesn't protrude into the room but offers so much counter space at 91" long.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

And I cannot take credit for the copper pipe hardware idea.  Thank you to Katie at Upcycled Treasures for this beautiful idea which I borrowed.


diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

So yummy.

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls


diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Ana's plans are actually very versatile for this build.  She designed it with a planked top but you could use solid plywood as well.  And I trimmed out the base with something a little bit fancy but you could use any baseboard trim:

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

I love how the copper hardware picks up the tiny bit of copper from the wall sconces (those are diy too see the tutorial here).

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Ana recommended I try these full wrap hinges.  Sure enough she was right and these hinges are awesome to work with.  Easy to install, very secure and the best part is the slim profile.

diy extra long sideboard with full wrap hinges

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

See how the hinges are barely noticeable?  But don't look at that small gap in the right door, upper corner - it reminds me that I'm not perfect :).  I'll blame it on my circular saw for not cutting that plywood totally straight.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans


diy extra long sideboard with three drawers

The drawers are perfectly deep and can hold nearly anything.
  Below is a regular 11" dinner plate:

diy extra long sideboard with deep drawers

A huge thank you to Ana for making these plans.  This build is something I should've done long ago and I'm kicking myself I waited so long.  If you're looking for a big piece with lots of storage space and a counter surface then I highly recommend this sideboard.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

How to build an extra long sideboard:

Follow Ana's plans here.  I recommend making your cuts as you build and be sure to measure carefully.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Step 1: Build the carcass.  I used my Kreg pocket hole system all over this piece and I always build face down to be sure the front is flush.  
Note: I added 2 support pieces near the center because the cabinet is so long I feared sagging.  Cut down 2 scrap pieces of plywood and secure under the center drawer section.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Step 2: Add the face frame.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Step 3: Build drawers to fit.  Measure.  Measure.  Measure before you cut the drawer pieces.  Also note I used 1/2" plywood for the drawer bases secured with 2" screws.  This allows me to fill up the drawers with heavy dishes and not worry about support.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Step 4: Build the door fronts.  I used Ana's method here because I do not own a table saw and making dados with a router is not my idea of a good time.  Yes there are a lot of pocket holes that should be plugged but I'm thinking of covering the whole piece with fabric or wallpaper in the future?

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans

Step 5: Sand and finish.  I choose to go natural here with 3 coats of clear satin poly.

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

Step 6: Hardware.  Like everyone else I'm on the copper kick.  Cut down 3/4" copper pipes.  I borrowed this idea from here if you're looking for more copper information.

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

Step 7: Clean the copper with ketchup.  Wash and dry then use steel wool for a really smooth finish.
I also sealed the copper with clear semi gloss poly spray to keep fingerprints at bay.

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

Step 8: Attach the hanger to the wood, I used 2" wood screws on the drawers and 1 1/4" on the doors.

diy long copper pipe hardware drawer pulls

Step 9: Insert the pipe and secure the screw.  I attached the caps before installation using super glue on the pipe ends to be certain they don't fall off.

diy extra long sideboard with drawers free plans
I'm linking up to:

Sand and Sisal

The 36th Avenue
Creative Collection @ Lolly Jane

Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk

That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming

9 comments:

Jessica Rivers said...

I absolutely LOVE this! What was the cost? Jess

Jen Woodhouse said...

So beautiful! And I'm on a copper kick too! Love your sideboard - it turned out so amazing!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

such a fantastic piece! you have skillz!

Elisha Albretsen said...

So awesome! Definitely pinning. I love the bare wood look!

Brooke said...

Such a gorgeous sideboard! And I love that you left it natural so the wood could really shine

Kimm Boes said...

Wow, that is amazing! Such a huge work surface and tons of storage. This is exactly the kind of piece I need for my dining room. LOVE the copper hardware!

Katie @ Addicted 2 DIY said...

This is gorgeous Jamie! I love the copper, too! And I am totally going to get those hinges for the media console we built. The other hinges are awful. Thanks for the tip!

Mandie McMurdie said...

Love the copper pipe hardware!

Numbers said...

Love the sideboard ... but I also happen to love your flooring, too! What kind of tile is that??