Monday, June 15, 2015

"G" is for Grill Cart / Bar Cart

Today it's a grill cart / bar cart just in time for summer!  I built my own version of the grill cart that is part of The Home Depot DIY Workshop coming up this Saturday, June 20th at 10am:

I can't wait to show you all how to build the grill cart Ben Uyeda of HomeMade Modern designed for the workshop!

This Saturday, June 20th, I'll be at the Buffalo store #1286:

The Home Depot #1286
4405 Milestrip Rd
Buffalo, NY  14219

Below you'll find all the details on my version of the grill cart.  I actually made the grill cart into a bar cart for our purposes.

The bar cart is wider than the Ben's grill cart and has a cooler compartment made to fit a standard 30 quart foam cooler (about $3 at The Home Depot) or you could line it with a big plastic bag and just plop the ice and drinks right in!

Plenty of shelf space for storage and serving items.

The copper towel bars and hooks fancy things up a bit.  Also I intentionally choose screws with a brassy/copper color to attach the metal vertical supports because they add a decorative industrial look.

Copper fittings make great towel hooks!  I'll show you the details down below how to make these cuties.

If you're curious and want to learn more about how to make a grill cart please join us this Saturday, June 20th at The Home Depot.  Click on the bucket to register, type in your zip code to find the nearest store hosting the workshop.

And now for the plans to build my version of the grill cart / bar cart.

Always use caution and follow all safety requirements when operating power tools.

6 - 2x4x8 studs        
4 – 1x8x8 boards
3 – 1x4x8 boards
1 – 2x2x6 board
1 – 1x6x6 board
4 – 2x2 angle irons @ 36”
3”, 2” & 1 ½” screws
2 ½” & 1 ¼” pocket hole screws
4 - casters
cutting oil

Cut List:
4 – 2x4 @ 39 1/2” (long shelf supports)
10 – 2x4 @ 19”  (short shelf supports)
5 – 2x4 @ 16” (center shelf supports)
4 – 1x8 @ 42 1/2” (shelf sides)
2 – 1x4 @ 42 ½” (shelf center)
2 – 2x2 @ 15 1/2” (top shelf center supports)
14 – 1x4 @ 12” (cooler compartment sides)
4 – 1x6 @ 12” (cooler compartment sides)
6 – 1x8 @ 27 ¼” (top)
2 – 2x2 @ 15” ends cut 20 degree miter not parallel

Step 1: Make shelf frames.  Attach short ends to long ends using 3” screws.  Then attach center supports to frame using 2 ½” pocket hole screws.  Make two.  ** The middle shelf requires one center support. **

Step 2: Attach shelf boards to frames using 1 ½’ or longer countersunk screws.

Step 3: Make top shelf frame.  Use pocket holes and 2 ½” pocket hole screws.

Step 4: Make cooler compartment.  Attach planks to frame using pocket holes and 1 ¼” pocket hole screws to create cooler compartment.

Step 5: Attach top shelf and cooler compartment to middle shelf.    

Step 6: Attach metal L angle irons to shelf frames.  Be sure to predrill irons using cutting lubricant and paint them prior to attaching.

Step 7: Make left side top surface.  Attach boards from top using 1 ½” countersunk screws.

Step 8: Make cooler compartment lid.  Finish nail 2x2 cross supports into 1x8 boards then flip over and attach from top using countersunk screws.

Step 9: Finish as desired. Attach wheels and accessories.

I used hinges on the frame to attach the right side cooler compartment lid.

To make the copper pipe hooks I used the above 1/2" fittings.

Use a 3/4" spade bit (make sure the bit size matches the threaded side of the adapter).

Drill a hole deep enough for the threads and screw adapter into hole.  I wrapped the adapter with tape first and then a cloth before using pliers to screw it in securely.

Disclaimer: The Home Depot partners with bloggers such as me for DIY Workshop program.  As part of this program, I received compensation for my time.  They did not tell me what to purchase or what to say about any product mentioned in these posts.  The Home Depot believes that consumers and bloggers are to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. The Home Depot’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.


Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love that your version has a spot for a cooler. So practical.

Monicaramrem said...

Thanks for this! My husband and I just finished ours. We saw yours and loved it so we decided to make it. It was much more expensive than I anticipated, but was a lot of fun making.

PRIVATE said...

Just curious; my husband and I want to make this this weekend. How long did it take you guys and about how much did it cost?


Jaime Costiglio said...

@Moincaramrem this grill cart took me about 2 days to complete. The cost will vary everywhere but I'm estimating about $100 for lumber.