Thursday, July 30, 2015

Simple Mirror Frame

If you follow me on Instagram then you know I've been slaving away in the bathroom recently working on a little makeover.  Today I'm sharing how to make this super simple mirror frame out of wood that will go in the bathroom.

Yesterday I shared a sneak peek of the newly framed mirror hung in place:

I still have a bit of touch up painting to do in there then on to install towel bars and such, here's hoping I finish up today!

Back to the mirror frame, it's a 1x2 board cut with 45 degree miters.  If you keep a 1/4" reveal on the front side it adds a nice lip plus you have hidden space on the back side for hardware!

Because it's impossible to get a mirror picture without being in the picture!

I stained this frame with Minwax early american then sealed with wipe on poly in satin finish.

Below are step by step instructions including materials and cut lists.  I used an inexpensive store bought mirror and removed the original plastic frame.  PLEASE BE SURE TO MEASURE YOUR MIRROR PRIOR TO MAKING ANY CUTS FOR THIS FRAME!!


Cut List:
  • 2 - 1x2 @ 18 1/2", both ends 45 degree miter not parallel (long side interior)
  • 2 - 1x2 @ 16 1/2", both ends 45 degree miter not parallel (short side interior)
  • 2 – 1x2 @ 20”, both ends 45 degree bevel not parallel (long side exterior)
  • 2 - 1x2 @ 18", both ends 45 degree bevel not parallel (short side exterior)

Step 1: MEASURE YOUR MIRROR FIRST!  The mirror portion must be ½” larger on all sides of the interior measurements.  For example:  The long interior measurement here is 15 ½” so the mirror must be 16 ½” h.  This will give you enough mirror to hold in place with the mirror clips.

Use pocket hole construction to attach four corners.  Attach short ends to long ends using wood glue and 1 ¼” pocket hole screws.

The pocket holes will take a bite out of the side of your 1x2 but that will be covered by the next step.

Step 2: Attach exterior frame pieces.  Maintain a ¼” reveal on the front side (use a scrap piece of ¼” plywood as a spacer when nailing).  Use wood glue and 1 ¼” finish nails to attach.

Put mirror in place then predrill and attach mirror clips with 3/4" wood screws.

You can see how the side portion of the frame conceals the mirror clips as well as your hanging device.  You can use D rings or wire and screws, whatever works for you!

For another frame using this same method see my giant bulletin board here:

I'm linking up to:


Michaela Graves said...

I am working on a bathroom makeover as well, and was thinking about a wood framed mirror just like this! I might have to try my hand at creating one.

Also LOVE how you took the pictures with the trees in the mirror, so clever. : )

Michaela @ The Lodge on Haydon

Annet said...

I wanted to come back to this post and say Thank you! About a year ago, I wanted to frame out a full length mirror and followed a tutorial on another blog that was about using tongue and groove board - so the mirror sits in the groove. So I did all that, but COULD NOT make it fit. So I surrendered and it sat in the back corner of my basement, until I saw this!
We don't have a router to do the edging, so my eureka moment after seeing your post was to adapt. I lowered the table saw really far down and cut off the back of the groove without touching the front, so now I have the nice flat egde to lay the mirror on and use mirror clips.
I didn't frame out the outside, since my pieces were wider and my pocketholes fit.
So again, thanks so much for all your posts, I don't often comment.

Gail Wilson said...


I love the mirror frame, AND the chalkboard! I have so many mirrors that I've salvaged from other projects. Another project to add to my to-do list.