Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Bathroom Makeover


Hallelujah!  Isn't that how we all feel when you finally complete a long awaited room makeover?  I'm kicking myself for waiting two years to tackle this bathroom but life happened.  At any rate it's done and my whole family is loving it! 

The true testament - the before and after:


A little bit about this bathroom, we live in a 1740 saltbox farmhouse and this room is original to the home although I believe the doorway was originally where the mirror is leading directly to the living room.  


The previous owners made the space into a full bathroom and did a beautiful job maintaining the antique character by using the old vanity and bowl sink and installing handmade Mexican subway tile in the shower.  However this is an interior room which means NO WINDOWS so I knew immediately that red wallpaper had to go.


Wallpaper down and planks up.  I used plywood underlayment for the planking, primed and painted.  And you must know nothing is level or square in our house so it was nearly impossible to get the planks to line up in the corners.


The red toile wallpaper was overwhelming and so dark.


Hello white plank lovelies!  I also switched out the mirror using a rectangular shape that I framed myself in juxtaposition to the circular sconces.  You can see the tutorial on the mirror here.


The sconces add just a touch of modern feel plus I love the dark bronze with brushed brass accents.


The shower enclosure remained the same.


Then just to the left of the shower is the toilet, which is also the same except looks fantastic now with the planked walls and I added a wall cabinet made from an old window.


The window cabinet provides lots of storage and is just the perfect fit right above the toilet.  I borrowed this idea from Liz Marie Blog (her husband Mr. LMB has the details @ Craftsman Drive here).

Down below in the before picture you can see that above the toilet was empty space (with lots of red wallpaper!):



More planks please and thank you.



The door is the original door as well.  You can tell the poly has yellowed a bit and I might sand that down someday and reseal but for now it's not that obvious (only in pictures because of the lighting).

Below I'll share the process of how I made this antique saltbox bathroom our own: 


Step 1: Remove wallpaper.  There are tons of ways to go about this but because this is a bathroom the steam had already done it's work over the years which made peeling the wallpaper off relatively easy.


Step 2: Rip 7/32" underlayment into 5 1/2" wide planks.  I used 3 1/2 sheets because I didn't want seams but if you're open to the seam look you could use a lot fewer sheets.  Set your Kreg rip cut at 5 1/2" and start cutting.


Step 3: Prime the front and cut sides of the planks.  I used cover stain oil based primer because this is a bathroom.  Sand smooth once dry.


Step 4: Mark studs with vertical line on drywall.  Cut and install planks using 1 1/4" finish nails into studs, I placed a nickel between planks for spacing.  Fill all the nail holes, sand and paint with Benjamin Moore Aura white dove eggshell.

Below is a quick Periscope video I did of the bathroom in progress:

video

And to see another bathroom makeover in this old house check out my kids upstairs bathroom that has cedar planks on the walls!  


I'm linking up to:

TDC Before and After

11 comments:

O meu pensamento viaja said...

Great!
I love the makeover!
Xoxo
Nina

Rita said...

Beautiful!

Regina said...

Absolutely stunning!!

Mindy said...

This is so, so beautiful. I love it.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Wow. WOw. Wow.

That's all I can keep saying. I adore it all. The white planks. The mirror. The lights. (I think I am buying those lights for our bathroom.)

You did an amazing job.

Cristina Garay said...

What a gorgeous makeover, Jaime! That wallpaper was really a thing of the past. I love the plank walls!

Deb Foglia said...

Wow this is really gorgeous! The planked walls, and that vanity, the sconces, the subway tile...I mean my jaw is still on the table! Love it all! Pinning!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Fantastic job. It is so light and bright now. I love the planked wall.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Fantastic job. It is so light and bright now. I love the planked wall.

Clockwork Interiors said...

You really did a great job -- absolutely love everything about your new bathroom!

Wilfred Andrews said...

I absolutely agree that in a windowless bathroom, heavy red wallpaper's a no-no and your white tiles look so clean and contemporary. Thanks for sharing such a high level of detail on this project. It just goes to show that you can keep the fixtures and fittings such as sink, shower and toilet and still achieve a totally different look.

Wilfred Andrews @ LB Plumbing and Heating