Sunday, February 7, 2016

DIY Lego Minifigures Shelf with Free Plans

diy lego minifig shelf

I definitely didn't invent the wheel here but I did make free plans so you can build your own Lego minifigures shelf.  There are lots of minifigure shelf ideas out there, some are quite sophisticated with little ledges for each minifig but I went simple.  In fact I didn't even add the baseplates which would be a great option if you like complete uniformity.

diy lego minifig shelf

This version of the minifigure display shelf allows you the freedom to place as many figurines as you choose on each ledge.


minifigs on shelf

If you follow me over on Instagram then you got a sneak peek of this shelf when I surprised my son after school one day:

lego minifigs shelf

It took under an hour to whip together, it's a relatively simple build that serves a purpose by keeping all those minifigs safe and visible.  What a great gift idea for any Lego fan young or old!

lego minifig storage idea

I hung the minifig shelf just high enough for my son to have easy access and directly above his nightstand where we keep all the Lego instruction books (not that we've ever referred back to them once the build is complete, I don't know why I'm keeping them?).

lego minifigs

Below are step by step instructions to build the Lego minifigurine shelf.  Be sure to follow all safety precautions when operating power tools.

lego minifig shelf free plans

Supplies:
  • 1 - 1x3x6 pine board
  • 6’ – 1 5/8” x 3/8” flat moulding
  • ¼” plywood @ 18” x 15 ½”
  • 1 ¼” finish nails
  • ¾” finish nails
  • wood glue
Cut List:
  • 2 - 1x3 @ 18” pine board (long sides)
  • 2 - 1x3 @ 14” pine board (short sides)
  • 4 –1 5/8” x 3/8” flat moulding @ 16 ½” (shelves)
  • 1 –¼” plywood @ 18” x 15 ½” (backing)

lego minifig shelf free plans

Step 1: Attach long sides to short side using wood glue and 1 ¼” finish nails.

lego minifig shelf free plans


Step 2: Attach shelves to short sides using wood glue and 1 ¼” finish nails.  Consider using a scrap 1x3 as your spacer.

lego minifig shelf free plans

Step 3: Attach backing using wood glue and ¾” finish nails.  Consider a few nails into shelves to keep back secure.

Fill nail holes with wood putty and sand well.  Prime and paint with white semi-gloss.

lego minifig shelf free plans

Want more Lego related projects to build and make?  I've done a few.

portable lego tray plans

The portable Lego tray is an all-time favorite and super easy.

diy lego play table plus Ikea parts

If you have the space why not make an entire play table devoted to Lego?  Details on this Lego play table here.

diy loft bed with lego storage

And I can't forget the loft bed with Lego storage and workspace below.  Truth be told I made another figurine shelf in natural wood to hang just above the table space between the towers.  Jen at House of Wood did the plans for me for this bed.

2 comments:

Lorenza said...

It 's a good idea!

Danielle Pientka said...

Such a cute idea! I love lego ideas... my kids are really getting into them. :)