Stopping in super quick with the tutorial to make a pool boy sign. I shared this sign over on Instagram a few days back (definitely follow me there for sneak peeks and current projects) and thought I'd show you how I made to make one.
It's a bit of a gag gift for anyone who has a pool. Simply press the button and the pool boy will appear for anything you need - cold drink, fresh towel, leaves in the pool?
Don't we all wish we had a pool boy?
I handpainted this sign using a print out but for those of you with vinyl cutting machines you could easily make the letters and stick on or make a stencil as well.
* This post contains affiliate links below, by clicking on an affiliate link and making a purchase I may receive a tiny commission. This small commission helps me keep this site full of free content so I thank you for your support. *
- 1x8 scrap board cut at 8 1/2"l
- 7/8" x 1/4" flat moulding
- wood glue, measuring tape, pencil, miter saw, ballpoint pen
- white and black paint
- seaside blue gloss spray paint
- small paint brush
- drill and bits
- nailer and 3/4" finish nails
- painters tape
Step 1: Use painters tape to cover the doorbell button. Spray paint doorbell and screws using seaside blue gloss spray paint.
Step 2: Paint 1x8 wood board in white. Print out 'pool boy' letters (link to printable PDF file here). Center printout on board and using a ballpoint pen trace the letters with heavy pressure.
The pressure from the ballpoint pen leaves an indent in the wood.
Step 3: Using a small paintbrush and balck acrylic paint inside the indents.
Step 4: Prepaint molding black before attaching. Cut to fit and attach flush to back using wood glue and 3/4" finish nails. Predrill hole at center for doorbell housing. Seal entire sign now with exterior grade poly if using outdoors.
Attach doorbell. Use a cloth between the drill bit and screw head to prevent chipping the paint.
Add a sawtooth hanger at center back. Enjoy!
A few other DIY pool related projects you might find enjoyable:
Cheers to summer!